cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

FTTP upstairs

My current master socket is upstairs in my home office (theres also an old downstairs socket that was disconnected during my FTTC install). From what I can tell, the current cable comes through the adjacent bedroom, from a telegraph pole and through the bedroom wall.  I'm interested in upgrading to FTTP, but only if the router will still be in the same place - any idea if the likelihood of this?

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: FTTP upstairs

The fibre terminates on an ONT (fibre modem), the router can be placed anywhere you like within 100 metres of the ONT. However, if you wish to place the router in a different location to the ONT, you will have to run the Ethernet cable yourself as Openreach will only supply a short patch cable.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

Could the ONT be upstairs?  I really don't want to start drilling holes in the house and run cables up walls

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

As has been posted countless times on the forum, you will need to discuss that with the Openreach engineer on the day, but if it is reasonably easy, quite probably. However the CSP will still need to be placed at ground level so the fibre from the pole will go down to ground level and back up to first floor.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

So can the fibre into the house come out of the CSP and go back up the wall into a different hole into the house, or would it have to go out of the back of the CSP into the house and travel upstairs inside the house? thanks
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

it can go back up wall to another room but as said you need to discuss with installer

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 7 of 9

indeed, thanks, will do. Just wanted to check that the CSP physically allowed for that, fibre suitable for outside etc.
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

Openreach can use an ‘inside out’ type cable , it has effectively two jackets , a rugged black exterior one , so it can be ran on outside walls from the CSP , then once it enters the inside of the property , the part of the cable that’s ran internally has the exterior jacket stripped off ( leaving the white coloured internal cable ) and that is ran internally ( surface mounted along  skirting boards etc ) to the location of the ONT .

Message 9 of 9

That is how mine was installed. Openreach engineer was perfectly happy to do it.