cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

Fast wifi slow ethernet

Go to solution

Hi all,

I have just upgraded to BT Full Fibre 500 with a Smart Hub 2.

My wifi is excellent with download speeds of between 300-400 mbs even when in a different room 20 feet from the router.

However I want to hardwire my Samsung TV downstairs using an ethernet cable.

When I did a speed test using an ethernet cable able plugged directly into the router the max speed I could achieve was 140mbs, i've tested using a cat 6 cable and an ethernet adapter plugged into my Samsung Galaxy S9.

I thought ethernet was supposed to be the faster connection.

BT say it is a problem with my hardware and that the router is working fine, any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: Fast wifi slow ethernet

Go to solution

@Olympia0902 

I doubt the Samsung Galaxy S9 is capable of a faster connection using an Ethernet adapter.

Use a fast PC with a Gigabit Ethernet port, and you should get the full speed.

Your TV will also have limited capability, as it has no need for a fast connection, so do not be surprised if you get a low speed.

Message 3 of 4

Go to solution

As above, you're converting ethernet to USB, so could be limited by the ethernet adapter &/or the conversion process. But for a TV connection it's largely irrelevant. Even if the TV has a gigibit port, I can't think of any use for higher speed.

Message 4 of 4

Go to solution

Thanks, you are quite right my phone couldn't handle the speed, using a Macbook with a different adapter I got the correct speed of 390-400 mbs.

Should have checked that before I posted.

0 Ratings