cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Fiber 100 and Draytek 130 modem

Go to solution

Hi, I'm going to provide as much information as I possibly can here so sorry if some of it is irrelevant.

For almost a year I was on a Fibre 2 package, I was using a Vigur 130 modem and a Nighthawk XR500 router. I'm not sure of the firmware version of the Vigur 130 but I'm pretty sure that it was default settings when I bought it (I bought it from eBay) and this worked flawlessly. I had zero issues.

With increasing demands on streaming within my house I decided to upgrade my package for the sole purpose of having increased speeds. After an engineer come out to install everything, I left it a few days for the internet line to "settle" as advised by the engineer.

After 2 or 3 days I tried swapping out my Smart Hub 2 with the Draytek modem and Nighthawk router and i could not get a connection at all. It's now been 2 weeks and i still can't get this to work.

I have upgraded the firmware of the Draytek Vigor 130 to the latest (3.8.5 BT) and also performed a factory reset on the device. I also reset my Nighthawk XR500 back to factory (with only adding in the bthomehub@btbroadband.com username and password) and I still can't get the internet to work.

I also tried taking my modem and router to a friend's house (although my friend has Fibre 2 package) to ensure there wasn't an issue with the hardware (while both was in their factory states, and this worked straight away. My friend also uses a 3rd party modem/router (ASUS dsl-ax82u with the ASUS Merlin custom firmware) and we tried this at my house and no luck.

Is there something different on the Fibre 100 line that does not allow me to use a 3rd party modem / router or is there any configuration I need to do on the Draytek Vigor 130 to enable me to get this to work?

Please let me know if you need any more information, I would really like to get this to work!

Thank you

Craig

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Fiber 100 and Draytek 130 modem

Go to solution

Assuming you moved to Full Fibre as you had an Openreach engineer to install it?  If Full Fibre you will have a ONT like below?

300px-Fttp-ont-pon.jpg

If so you just plug your Nighthawk XR500 router in and configure the PPPoE connection. You don't use the Draytek 130 modem as this is now replaced by the Openreach ONT

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

Unless I am misunderstanding you state you had FIbre 2 [VDSL based method] and now have Fiber 100? I assume this is FTTP based if so then there is no need for the Draytek 130 modem as this was only required for ADSL or VDSL copper connection types.

You should just be able to plug the XR500 directly into the Openreach ONT and use PPoE connection  method as previously used.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

Hi @jac_95 

Sorry, I forgot to include that full fibre to the home is not available in my area at this time so I have a "Master Socket 5C" with a G.fast label on the front

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

@Palmer88 thanks for clarification. Looking at the Draytek 130 modem it doesn't support G.Fast. According to below link might need to use 166 modem

https://www.draytek.co.uk/products/modems/adsl-vdsl-modem

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

Ah then the Draytek 130 isn't compatible with G.Fast variant of VDSL specs listed below -

Spoiler
  • Protocol Support

• ITU-T G.993.1 VDSL
    • ITU-T G.993.2 VDSL2
    • ITU-T G.997.1
    • G.INP / G.998.4
    • VDSL Annex A, Annex C, Annex M
    • VDSL Profiles: 8a, 8b, 8c, 8d, 12a, 12b, 17a
    • VDSL2 Vectoring
    • BT SIN 498 MCT Approved
    • OLR, UPBO, DBPO, US0
    • ANSI T1.413 Issue 2
    • ITU-T G.992.1 G.dmt (ADSL)
    • ITU-T G.992.3 ADSL2
    • ITU-T G.992.5 ADSL2+
    • ADSL Annex L (READSL)
    • ADSL Annex M
    • PPPoA-PPPoE or PPPoE-PPPoE Bridging (WAN to LAN)
    • RFC-2684 / RFC-1483

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

Thank you both @Starman @jac_95 

I never even thought to check that as I presumed that it was the same Master Socket on the wall as before and that if it was working before it should work now. Would it be the case that they would have changed is as part of the install for the increased speeds?

Thank you again!

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

@Palmer88 The faster speeds uses a different frequency and standard to your previous connection. You've gone from what is called VDSL2 to G.Fast. 

Your current modem only supports the frequencies and VDSL2 standards and not the G.Fast frequencies that you've been switched to. Hence why it's not working with your current modem.

Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

@jac_95 thank you for clarification!

Know anyone in the market for a Vigor 130? lol

0 Ratings