cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Fibre 900 Speeds

I've had my fibre installed for around a week now and I was actually getting speeds in excess of 900 for a few days. My son mentioned that he went to download something last night and that it took than it had for same file days earlier. On running several wired tests it's saying my speeds are around 100mbps!

I've monitored it for a few hours now all with the same results.

Any suggestions on how to get to the bottom of it would be greatly appreciated.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Fibre 900 Speeds

They done some tests and reset everything remotely, which, seems to have fixed the issues. Well I say fixed, I'm getting from 850 - 950 (which is great) with a wired connection from the router however everything wifi is under 100mbps!

I also have a gigabit switch running off the router which is meant to supply each port with up to 1gb unless traffic dictates otherwise. I was seeing 100mbps off every port (wired) so pulled everything apart from the port I was testing and it remained just under 100mbps! I have several switches so tried another, and another all with the same results!

So it looks like to get the full benefit of the speeds you need to be wired and also directly into one of the 3 available ports on the router! Anything else off that will force you down to 100mbps!

As for wifi, you will see many state that it's dependant on your device. All my tests were done on a gaming laptop which specs exceed those recommended to get an accurate result! Reading other posts it would seem the BT router is the issue as those that replaced it went from similar wifi speeds to aroun 850mbps!

A bit underwhelming to say the least! Paying for a product I'll only see the benefit on 3 devices that are wired unless I shell out for an expensive 3rd party router, which then won't work (I assume) with BT wifi discs!

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

@jaymorley 

Check the Ethernet cable from the home hub to the switch, and make sure its a CAT6 cable which fully wired, as that is what is needed to get a 1Gb Ethernet connection between the two. Any other cable will fall back to 100Mbs.

You are only likely to get full speed on a wired connection.

It was never intended that people get full speed on all devices, especially on a wireless connection. The intention is to allow that bandwidth to be shared among family members and multiple devices, without each user noticing any slowdown.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

Yeah full understand that. Just expected more than 90-95mbps with most devices actually registering 94! Intend to check cables later on.

Admittedly I’m also running an unmanned switch off the hub which I’ve since found may also be limiting the wired devices. I’m guessing a switch that allows configuration is probably better suited? For example I’m guessing I’ve got things like Hue hub using 100mbps when there’s really no need?
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

The fact that it's so close to 100Mbps does suggest that either the cable from the device to the switch or from the switch to the router is only negotiating a 100Mbps link - that could be the cable or even a port going bad - it happens!

In what way do you believe the switch is limiting devices?  *Unmanaged 2.5Gbps switch here, limit on testing speeds between the router and device plugged into the switch seems to be the router CPU running out of steam!

I only learn by making mistakes and owning up to them - boy do I learn a lot!
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Yeah it’s the switch that’s the issue! Everything was resolved to the router with whatever BT support did however I decided to try a different gigabit switch to the one that was plugged into the router and I now getting pretty much full speeds! Could only have become an issue recently though as before my speeds dropped off upstairs wired connections through the switch were fine.

Resolve one issue and get another! WiFi seems to be dropping off intermittently although it’s not happening a lot.

0 Ratings