cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Fibre Broadband very poor range - can no longer get wifi outside!

Apparently this is a commonly complained about issue that is going to get worse as the weather gets better and people want to sit in their gardens and connect to their wifi, like they used to before they 'upgraded' to fibre - and the only solution is the disks - which cost more per month to use!!?? 

This is not good enough, why should we pay more for a lesser service. Why is the Fibre broadband range so poor - anyone else encountered this or found a way to improve it without additional monthly charges?

My old line and hub let us connect fully outside our home within 20m, now the moment you step outside the house you lose connection.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Fibre Broadband very poor range - can no longer get wifi outside!

Your line has absolutely no bearing whatsoever on the WiFi signal, it is totally independent. If you unplug your hub from line the WiFi signal won't change.

WiFi signals are very susceptible to interference and are not predictable.

Have you tried different channels to see if that improves coverage?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

hi - thank you for replying - yes, I see what you mean - the new Hub is the issue here, not the fibre per say, but being upgraded has caused the lack of wifi range as the hub came with it, the previous hub gave us good coverage outside.

Can you possibly clarify how I could experiment with different channels - thank you so much 🙂

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Go to http://192.168.1.254/ then Wireless, click on change settings and enter admin password. Click on where it says 'Smart (Channel x)' and select one of the other options given, both for 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz.

Ignore the warnings and click Save when done.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

thank you - will give it a go! 🙂

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Is your new hub situated in same place as your previous hub or somewhere totally different?

I would suggest you use a WiFi analyser app on your phone to find the channels in use by neighbours so you can select a free or less congested channel

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

hi- its in a slightly different place, but only by a few meters.

Fab idea - will have a closer look at the channels - thank you so much! 👍

0 Ratings