cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Fibre Help

Hi, I have recently moved into a new build, where my open reach box is installed in the back of the house  in the corner, meaning that my box sits in the corner of the room, I am a gamer, and my gaming room is upstairs on the other end of the house. Our house is not massive, 3 bedrooms and we have 900mbps package. My game is completely lagging, I’m cutting out on games, Netflix won’t load the list is endless. I’ve tried wifi discs, they did absolutely nothing, they said the main reason is due to the box being in the corner of the room and to move it central and that would mean having a white wire all accords my living room floor and into my half way? Has anyone ever had this issue? When I do BT test it was 800mbps but it’s just not working that fast or performing! How can I move it central without having wires all across my floor?

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Fibre Help

If your games are played on a PC or a console with an Ethernet port , you coukd cable one of the Ethernet ports from the router to wherever your gaming machine is , If WiFi  if no good , moving the router somewhere different on the ground floor at not make much difference, you could try powerline type extenders to use the mains wiring , but they may not be much better than WiFi .

Often with new builds , the plasterboard is foil backed and good for insulation but is bad for WiFi 

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Thanks, yeah I’ve been delivered a new hub, but still only getting 20mbps upstairs! Not sure why the wifi discs wouldn’t help either. Just seem like I’m stuck. My PS5 has Ethernet port but it’s ages away from the open reach box so not sure how to reach it 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

First thing I'd try is purchase a long ethernet cable to temporarily relocate the SH2 & see if you can find a location where it works for you. If that's successful, you could try replacing the cable with powerline adapters as @iniltous has suggested. But bear in mind you're unlikely to get full speed through them.

Again fleshing out the advice above, you could look at running an external ethernet cable to your gaming room or employing someone who may be able to do it invisibly internally.

The only other option would be a decent mesh system that provides both WiFi & ethernet connections. You would probably need to seek recommendations from gamers for a suitable product & still won't know if it will work until you try it.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Thank you so much! I’m new to all this as my first house so stressful trying to get it to work! I had talk talk which was perfectly fine, but thought I’d upgrade to 900mbps with BT but it’s absolute **bleep**e lol wish I never switched but now I’m contract till 2025 so got to make it work!
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

When you say you tried WiFi disks, was that as part of BT's Complete WiFi? If so there is supposedly a £100 money back guarantee if they can't make it work.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Yeah but I sent it back within the 14 day cooling off period, strangely it made my connection worse! Nothing seems to work and it’s driving me insane when I had really cheap 100mbps on talk talk and it was so much better no issues , so because I sent back no guarantee but I didn’t wanna stay in the contract
0 Ratings