cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 29

Fibre to Homehub 2 installation question.

I'm wanting to switch to fibre optic but I don't want to move my Home Hub 2 because I have an Ethernet cable wired from it to my PC and I would have to re-route that and other wire connections from solar panels data readings and stuff. To compound problems Wi-Fi transmission through the walls in my house is a 4-letter word and I may get further problems from the Powerwall data feed signal from that.

Is it possible during Openreach installation of fibre to have the fibre terminate at a 'wall box' with fibre input and ADSL RJ11-RJ output cable going to a Homehub 2 located 5-6m away?

Homehub 2 inputs

https://www.bt.com/help/broadband/learn-about-the-ports-on-your-bt-hub

0 Ratings
28 REPLIES 28
Message 2 of 29

Re: Fibre to Homehub 2 installation question.

can you enter your phone number or address and post results including the notes which are attached.  this will show what is available and how fibre is likely to be installed

how does your existing phone line enter your home - underground or OH from pole?

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 29

By "wall box" I assume you mean the ONT, Optical Network Terminal, where the fibre terminates.  If so, the output to the router is cat 5e ethernet with RJ45 plugs, not RJ11 phone cable.  This means you could theoretically have up to 100m between them.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 29

If the ONT can be located near the phone socket that the router is currently connected to , then your router connects to the ONT , instead of the phone socket , the ONT needs power ( so it needs to be near a power outlet ) and close enough to the place where the external cable attaches to your property , so that the installer can cable from there to the  of the phone socket socket .

The installer will try and locate ( within reason ) the ONT where you want it , unless there is a reason it can’t be practically done , like you live in a terrace property, served from the front and you want the ONT at the rear , and there is no external ‘cable on wall’ option to wire to get from the front to the back , two items are provided a CSP  external where the external fibre cable is spliced to the internal fibre cable , and the ONT an internal powered device that the internal fibre connects , and where you connect your router 

If where you want the ONT ( next to the phone socket ) has no power outlets , an extension cable can be used but obviously you may want to get a more permanent power outlet provided, or you can provide your own Ethernet cable from the likely most practical position of the ONT to where your router is .

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 29

My existing phone line comes in off a pole.  Sadly my phone number won't work on that site for some reason.

What is an ONT?  Is the ONT connected via cable?  I was thinking of placing this ONT (assuming that's where the fibre comes in) at the top of a wall, the lead could reach down to a power socket near there.  Can I then have an ordinary ADSL cable from there to the Home Hub 2 with RJ11 on both ends?

I see the ONT is a new modem, I do not really want that.  What I want is the fibre to come in and link to some kind of simple adapter box, where I can have fibre in and ADSL cable out, so that I can run a bendable ADSL cable from this point to my current router.  Basically I want to convent the cable from fibre optics to ADSL after it comes in to solve the bending issues.  I could put in this cable myself pre-installation, so that it's ready to go.  It's a real shame we can't actually ask Openreach directly about this kind of stuff, because the BT salespeople selling the packages just go on about speed and haven't got a clue about installation or what they're selling in the slightest.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 29

Then as I posted try your address

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 29

BMD10_0-1717440384426.png

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 29

You don’t seem to have much idea what getting FTTP from Openreach entails , this link shows the installation of OR FTTP , it’s the same regardless of ISP , so it’s irrelevant that it’s not BT , it’s exactly the same process .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2W8S_l8b0c

TBH , you have a somewhat strange set of requirements, if what’s shown on this video is not what you want , it’s best not to order , basically the ONT  replaces the phone  socket as the point where  the  router is connected , your statement that you don’t want an ONT shows you don’t appreciate how the service works , and IMHO its a little off  to criticise the BT  customer service representatives lack of understanding given your own , pretty clear  misapprehensions. 

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 29

You are entirely misunderstanding how fibre provision is achieved.

The fibre enters the house and terminates in the ONT (optical modem). The output of the ONT is Ethernet which is a direct replacement of your DSL cable effectively. It is just standard cat 5e cable.

The ONT and your router can be up to 100 metres apart.

Message 10 of 29

I'm not really supposed to understand how it works.  I'm not the one selling it.  Last time someone came out to do it I had to cancel because they didn't want to put it where the current phone socket was, they wanted to put it up on a wall in the longer, and that causes absolute hell for me as regards the rest of the connections in my house.  They said it can't go to the current position because of 'the bends'.  

Thanks for the link BTW.🙂

At 1:40, I'd like to go through options before the day rather than on the day, that's the problem.

Having watched the video, is the case that the fibre links to this 'ONT', which plugs into a power socket and connects to my Home Hub 2 with an Ethernet Cable with RJ45 at both ends?  Can this cable be 5-6m long?  Does the phone still link to the Hub?  Is there a wiring schematic anywhere?

0 Ratings