cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Firestick Wi-Fi

Hello all 

We have Full Fibre 500 and Wifi is pretty strong in most rooms. Router is in the living room where we also have a Firestick connected to the TV, Wi-Fi Signal test on my phone next to the TV reaches around 300-400 Mbs but speed test on the Firestick is only reaching 31 Mbs Maximum.

Any suggestions ? Didn't know if running an ethernet from the router into an adapter that connects to the fire stick would solve it, or am I doing something else wrong?

Appreciate any help you can offer 

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Firestick Wi-Fi

@Smith824ms 

Please remove the link to Amazon, as its not permitted on this forum.

Just copy the text of the device description, or post an image of the page in question, as that would not create a referrer back to BT.

Thanks

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

Apologies, now removed
Many thanks
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

Looking at your other thread, you are going to need to add an Ethernet switch if you want to connect both a wireless access point and an Ethernet adapter to the end of the Ethernet cable.

Like the TP-Link LS1005G

Capture.JPG

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

Sorry they were 2 separate issues.

Was going to run an ethernet cable from one port at the rear of the router to the garden office and connect a TP Link WA1201 to boost the signal for laptops, TV and phone.

Then run another ethernet cable from a different port on the router to the firestick adapter, as for some reason the Wifi is very poor on this firestick only 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

So the Firestick is not in the office, I understand.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

That's correct the Firestick is in the Living Room, 20 Ft away from the router. 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

I'd try factory resetting the Firestick & then if no change, put it on an HDMI extension cable in case it's being shielded by the TV chassis. If still no good I think I'd be inclined to replace it rather than have the inconvenience & expense of adding the ethernet adapter, unless it comes with it. If the replacement is still low you can just return it.

But why do you need in excess of 31Mb? That should be enough even for 4k streaming.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

We had similar problems with a Firestick, even when I put an AP within 2 ft of the Firestick it made little difference. We bought a Ethernet adapter for the Firestick (<£10 iirc) and it made a huge difference, no more problems with buffering or hang ups etc. It also leaves more Wifi bandwidth for other things to use, though we rarely have any heavy Wifi users as most PCs, Xbox etc are directly connected with Ethernet.

0 Ratings