cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Full Fibre 500 slow speed to all devices

Hello, I hope someone can help me. I have BT Full Fibre 500mbps and I’m really struggling to get over 25mbps to any of my devices, wired or wireless.

Ive had a Qube engineer attend and he replaced the router and did some other checks and verified the same with the new and old router, speed to the hub is nearly 500mbps but 20odd mbps to the device.

Ive now had a Openreach engineer attend and he’s said there’s nothing wrong with the equipment in the house and the infrastructure to the property. He said other people are experiencing similar issues in the area and he thinks it’s an issue at the exchange.

Ping and upload speed are fine. The issue all seems to be with the download speeds.

Has anyone else had or seen this issue?

Thanks in advance.

IMG_0521.png

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: Full Fibre 500 slow speed to all devices

So very odd update…. If I use a VPN, I’m getting my full download speed! The second I turn the VPN off, it drops to 20 odd mbps download speed again?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

Hi Mick,

Are your devices connected via Ethernet or Wi-Fi? I assume you have carried out a speed test via both (for IPhone)
I would also assume you have locally logged into your homehub (usually 192.168.1.254) to check that your relevant Eth ports are configured for 1Gb.

I find it strange that when using a VPN you get a better D/L as when browing the web etc you'll still be using Cache's for most searches with the occasional use of peer.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

Hi GSYeatman,

Tried both wireless and wired but still the same. The only reason that made me think about using the VPN was my son said PC was working fine and he’s running a VPN for gaming. I tried it on my phone and I’ve attached the results.

garage band from Apple App Store 1.61gb

31 minutes without VPN connected

1 minute 28 seconds with VPN connected

very odd?

IMG_0527.jpeg

IMG_0525.jpeg

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

Yeah that is strange 😲

Do you have anything in between you and the hub, like a WIFI disc or powerline adapter, or are you connected just to the hub itself?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

The only logical explanation is that the VPN is compressing data, allowing it to traverse much faster, although doesn't seem applicable with the speed difference seen...  I take it you've already powered your hub off, left it a few minutes and booted it back up to re-initiate a PPP session?

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

Done all that.

i also have a Deco XE75 and put that in place of the BT hub and still the same so I know it’s not the router at fault and Openreach have replaced the ONT.

Running out of options I can try.

I do have another engineer coming out on Wednesday, an SFI or something like that who’s meant to be more technical than the other engineers I’ve had but I’m not sure what else can be done.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

If you don't mind me asking, what package did you have before full Fibre 500? Did this earlier package get full speed to your devices? Maybe something on BT's end is messed up somewhere or some part of their systems still thinks you are on a slower/previous package? Maybe the VPN bypasses this stuck part of their system.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

I had virgin media before BT.

BT Fibre was a full new install due to them fitting in my street. It feels like Im being capped but it’s odd how I’m getting better speed on my VPN.

I think i’m going have to see what this engineer say’s Wednesday and take it from there.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

Yeah, good luck!

I would advise, If you can't get anywhere with the engineer then post here again and one of the mods may be able to help you out instead, since you've already tried BT customer support.

They are a small team but they have access to the systems.

0 Ratings