cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 19

Full Fibre 900 with Halo 3

Hi. Sorry if this is a silly question, but having upgraded to Full Fibre 900 with Halo 3, I would like to know how I can measure the throughput speed to the ONT?

0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19

Re: Full Fibre 900 with Halo 3

If you can connect a laptop with ethernet cable to the hub, you can just check fast.com.

If you really want to check speed right at the ONT, you can connect a laptop direct to that and set up a PPPoE connection:

username: bthomehub@btbroadband.com

password: anything you want, most people seem to use "BT"

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 19

You can't actually test the Phy speed into the ONT as it is not accessible, you can only test throughput speed.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 19

Hi. Thanks for the swift response. I'm afraid that my laptop doesn't have an ethernet port. I have used fast.com via my iPhone 12 but I thought that this only measured the speeds from the ONT to the Hub? I have tried using the speed test via the "MY BT" app, but it is not clear what is being measured? My BT27 - 14 September - 14.21.PNG

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 19

If you're using fast.com from any device it is measuring the end-to-end throughput - I can't comment on how the "My BT" app does the test.

However, the only speed guarantee you'll get from any ISP is for throughput on a wired connection - WiFi introduces too many variables that are outwith their control.

Message 6 of 19

I am not convinced that Fast.com is that accurate, it consistently gives faster download speeds than 900MBPS

The other day it gave 1.8 MBPS

Message 7 of 19

Hi. The problem we have is that we upgraded our package to full fibre when we moved home, because we are totally reliant on wi-fi to watch TV , as we don't have an aerial on our bungalow. We predominantly watch Netflix on a TV connected directly to our BT TV Box, which is hard wired to the Hub and ONT and which are all located in the same room.  It's only when we lose the signal, that I check our speeds via the "MY BT" app on my iPhone 12.  The issue appears to be completely random, happening at differing times of the day and night. I also use the speed test when I notice issues with the internet connection, which also appears to be happening randomly. Having upgrade our broadband package again, to include 3 mini discs, the issue appears worse and the reading from Fast.com reduce by almost 50%.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 19

If your BT TV box is connected to the Hub by an ethernet cable then you shouldn't be having any issues watching a Netflix stream.

It's possible that one of your ethernet cables has a bad connection, which manifests as an intermittent fault - are you able to try replacing them?

The only other thing I would suggest is doing a factory reset on the Hub - you can find instructions here.

To be honest, if neither of those steps resolves the issue then I think you would need to contact BT to get a replacement Hub.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 19

Hi. Both the cables and the Hub have already been replaced. We have also upgraded the package and have 3 mini discs, which have made the issue worse. My theory is that the problem lies with the incoming signal, which appears to be backed up by the readings taken via the "My BT" app. However, BT are saying that as the app is supplied by a third party, it's readings aren't valid?

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 19

Unfortunately, unlike FTTC, the speed of the FTTP signal cannot be measured at the ONT and the Hub will always report 1Gb as that is the speed of the Ethernet link between the hub and the ONT.

0 Ratings