cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 14

Full fibre 500 issue

Hi All

Upgraded 2 weeks ago to FF500.  As its been 2 weeks we have been testing the speed on things today.

The 1st was to test the speed via laptop which came back with very  low speed so contacted BT via chat and she was able to remotely  increase this, its now standing at download 491.79 Upload 76.15 and ping 42 by using  the link she gave to test (https:speedtest.btwholesale.com).

On testing our other devices using the same web link  on them(2 mobiles and 2 tablets) they are download 46.28, upload 51.70 and ping 13 for mobiles and tablets download 254.60, upload 73.02 and ping 19.

We have tested connection speed for netflix on tv  with speed of 263.30.

Firstly how come the smaller devices are so low and not near  the 425 speed guaranteed for FF500?

Is this the normal speed for the smaller items?

Can we rely on the higher speed of 490 being correct for all items?

Thanks

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14

Re: Full fibre 500 issue

I'm beginning to think people justget FTTP to run speed tests tbh!

Fact is the guarantee is too the hub & you're unlikely to get the 425 on devices as it's dependant on factors including device capability etc

Message 3 of 14

The speeds quoted by BT are connection speeds to your SH2 not download speeds at your device

This is a previous posts which gives some idea of connection speed to devices

https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-setup-Wi-Fi-network/Re-full-fibre-100-issue/m-p/2298837#M202938

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 14

The 500mbps is your incoming connection speed and you should get within 80% as a constant connection speed. 

The speeds your devices actually receive is an entirely different kettle of fish and is dependent on sooooooooooooo many factors in hardware etc. 

My Pixel 8a will happily give 500mbps+ over WiFi, my PS5 is similar, TV gets around 250mbps, laptop  100ish... But my Pixel speeds drop to 80mbps of I'm in the upstairs loo... 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 14

Testing devices that connect wirelessly, ( phones , tablets etc ) doesn’t test the connection speed ( that’s what you purchase ) there are too many variables with WiFi that no one guarantees that , you may get a WiFi in every room guarantee with ‘whole home’ type devices but not the speed and certainty nor the profile speed , TV’s if connected by WiFi obviously have the same limitations, if connected by Ethernet, they generally don’t need to be capable of massive speeds  , but more than adequate for what the TV is used for , a 4K stream for example is around 25Mb and the TV obviously can only display one stream at a time , so doesn’t need 1Gb type ports .

If you want a reliable test , you need a PC/laptop of sufficient specification, wired to the hub to test , the speed test the ISP runs , measures speed  to the hub , ( that’s what’s guaranteed ) it’s not guaranteed speed  to the device .

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 14

I'm having similar issues but a 900 package and get speeds of maximum 100 to devices. How did they increase for you on chat?
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 14

Hi

They said during our chat online she could remotely access our hub and router by tweaking it.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 14

Thanks for your reply.

My laptop connection is wireless.  An ethernet cable came with the Hub2 , would that do to test speed?

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 14

Hi again

You log into your BT account (not email) and go to contact us, you will see chat option, click that

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 14

@Mattiesmommawrote:

Thanks for your reply.

My laptop connection is wireless.  An ethernet cable came with the Hub2 , would that do to test speed?

Yes.

0 Ratings