cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Google Nests buffering since getting EETV

On Sunday morning I like to tell my Google Nest devices ‘OK Google, play Classic FM from Global Player on Downstairs’. ‘Downstairs’ being two coupled Google Nest devices, ‘Global Player’ because Google will otherwise default to Tune In, which won’t display what music is actually playing.

Saying this mouthful once is bad enough, but ever since we dropped from 900Mbps to 500Mbps, and took EETV, I’m having to say it several times, as Google has taken to buffering; and once it does, it never unbuffers (I’ve left it for up to 30 minutes) until I say the mouthful again.

I’ve rebooted the ONT, the Home Hub 2, the Google Nests; nothing fixes it.

It never did this before the change; nothing else buffers, even now, and I would have thought a radio station a very light load on a broadband line. The new EETV Box Pro is on, but in standby throughout.

Any thoughts out there?

—————————————————————————————————————
*** Longtime YouView box owner, BT Broadband customer, finally an EE TV subscriber ***
0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Google Nests buffering since getting EETV

For now, I'd put this down to coincidence - these things do happen.  *I would assume you completely reset the Google Nest devices after changing internet suppliers and that there are no settings hanging over!

I only learn by making mistakes and owning up to them - boy do I learn a lot!
Message 3 of 7

@Midnight_Voice 

I believe EETV delivers content over multicast. The multicast packets are probably swamping the Google Nest devices and causing them to perform badly.

Message 4 of 7

Multicast is a one to many protocol not a one to all protocol!

I only learn by making mistakes and owning up to them - boy do I learn a lot!
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

@Crimliar 

Thanks, but I didn’t change internet suppliers, I just dropped my 900Mbps from BT to 500 Mbps from BT, sane fibre connection, same router, everything. So seamless I’m not even sure when, exactly, it changed, though I know the week it was in.

Coincidence is certainly a possibility that I will consider when all possible mechanisms have been discounted, but I’m looking for possible mechanisms first.

*** Longtime YouView box owner, BT Broadband customer, finally an EE TV subscriber ***
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

@Keith_Beddoe 

Thanks.

Yes, that is certainly a possible mechanism that I have considered, but I believe I have read that multicast packets don’t flow unless I actively watch an internet channel delivered that way, and all three of my YouView boxes that are active (Pro, Mini, T4000) are in standby, not even recording anything, and as quiescent as they get, though I know they are always ‘plotting in the background’.

If there are multicast packets flowing though, can I stop them by switching all the YouView boxes off at the mains, at least as a test? Or do I get multicast packets anyway, by mere dint of having EETV?

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

@Crimliar 

Not if your IGMP snooping isn’t exactly right, it isn’t!

0 Ratings