cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Google, Safari & YouTube show my location in Pennsylvania, when I am in the UK

Around two weeks ago, I noticed my Google searches where displaying items, websites eyc from the USA. This has been the same with Safari and also most of the YouTube ads are American too. Both Google and Safari have my location displayed as Pennsylvania, but when I go into settings (inc YouTube) they show the correct details of my UK location.

I decided to use a VPN with a connection in the UK and all three apps then behaved correctly, but there are certain important websites that do not allow me access via a VPN.

My initial thought is I have been hacked, but I cannot see any unrecognised login's. 
I have also followed all the steps to change location in Google and Youtube. They always showed correctly, but I followed the steps anyway.
Initially they would then display searches for UK based stores etc, but once I turn off the laptop and back on again, the searches revert to the USA.

This issue is across all devices that connect to the home WiFi.

If anyone has any ideas, I really do appreciate your help

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Google, Safari & YouTube show my location in Pennsylvania, when I am in the UK

What location does it show in a "What is my IP address site" for you, without the VPN running? Please do not screenshot and show us, but does it show you as being in the UK on there? Does it show you as being in the UK on both the IPV4 and IPV6 parts of the site?

I can't link it here but it can be found with a Google search.

Message 3 of 6

Re: Google, Safari & YouTube show my location in Pennsylvania, when I am in the UK

Thanks for your reply Mate,

I checked my IP via that site and it positioned me in London, UK. I am in Manchester.

I checked my IP Address via Settings/Network/WiFi and it is a different IP Address found on Whatismyipaddress.
Also on that website I could check if the IP Address is blacklisted. There were 80 websites that have that IP address blocked
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

Both IPV4 and IPV6 parts were different to what my system has displayed
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Ah, that's normal to place you in a completely different city. As long as it shows you that you are in the UK, all is good!

The address it shows on those sites is actually your public internet address, the one in your settings is your private one provided by the router, so it's normal for them to be different too.

I don't know what it could be sorry, but at least most of the internet knows you are actually in the UK 😄

Now it's time for someone more clever than me to give a good answer as to why Youtube, Google etc keeps defaulting to the USA for you. I really don't know the first thing of IP blacklisting or how to get it overturned. :c

Message 6 of 6

Thank very much for your help so far ....... some peace of mind that I am still in the UK 😊 Really appreciated Mate