cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Halo 3 Customer wanting to use a Firewalla or Gryphon

I have the SH2 along with 2 discs and the EE Hybrid - I want to use either the Firewalla Purple or a Gryphon AX - They are routers in their own right (the Gryphon Wi-Fi too) - How can I implement either into my setup without impacting it? The FW has a transparent bridge setup but I don't know that the SH2 will allow it?

If it's not possible, can the SH2 and discs be replaced but EE hybrid router left in place?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Halo 3 Customer wanting to use a Firewalla or Gryphon

You really don't!  These types of routers/firewalls rely on being able to filter data that passes through them.  If that data can be accessed without passing through, then the device is defeated.  Historically I tried using a device that monitored and intercepted data which was on the network but not targetted at or passing through the device.  It worked by "bending" the network protocols.  The reviews of the device were absolutely glowing, my experience and that of many other users was dire!  Bending the network protocols often meant breaking them totally!

I only learn by making mistakes and owning up to them - boy do I learn a lot!
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

You mean I don't want to use them in transparent bridge mode as it won't work as expected?

If so, what do I need to replace in order to use either one of them? As devices they are achieving what I want and there is enough feedback to suggest they work very well, as long as the setup is compatible.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

You have to think of the path the data takes and what holes/issues you are opening up.  If you put your filtering firewall device at the wall even in full bridge mode you could end up losing Digital Voice (DV), and if the EE Hybrid ever kicks in it'll bypass the firewall/filter.  Connect the SH2 to the wall, and your users may figure out how to bypass the firewall/filter and connect straight to the SH2.

If you can live without DV, I'd use the Firewalla Purple (Gryphon I don't think will do this) in router mode.  This will allow Failover, which may mean you can then use the EE hybrid if the WAN goes down - provided everything is using standard protocols and there is no "special sauce" in getting the EE Hybrid to connect!

I only learn by making mistakes and owning up to them - boy do I learn a lot!
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Not a chance, the hybrid connect will only connect to the SH2.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Thanks,

It sounds like at the moment then that I'm walled into the BT setup and would have to completely exit the equipment and go with a separate Mesh solution - I may have to park this for now unfortunately, then re-visit when my BT contract is up for expiry. 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

I thought that may be the case

I guess I need to weigh up the importance of what I am after (solid Parental Control and device  control) versus what I am paying for now and if I switch all the equipment now or once the contract is up next year.

Have not looked at any other Mesh solutions so will have to spend time on that too - I prefer the Firewalla model of one-time cost rather than an on-going one like the Gryphon.

0 Ratings