cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

Having trouble with upgrading to new smart hub…

Go to solution

Hey,

So we’ve had the same BTHub for years and years and finally got an upgrade being the Smart Hub 2. 
All was going great until one of the cables didn’t fit in one of the new ports—The cable being a standard RJ45 and wasn’t fitting into the ‘Broadband’ port on the new Hub. So I bought a RJ11 x RJ45 to plug into the new ‘Broadband’ port into our ‘LAN1’ connection port, however, no connection was found—We have an old BT connection box that has LAN ports which is where the old one was plugged into connecting to its ‘BT Infinity’ port which worked fine.

Now yes, I could be confused and not realise that it’s not the same ports but I can’t find anything online that says otherwise other than BT upgrading from their infinity. That part is confusing to me, because now that I have the right cable (seemingly) for my new Hub, still nothing works. 
The Hub is alive and I can connect to it, but there’s no internet connection at all (orange ring light). I’ve tried two cables now, both fitting into both ends and still nothing. Any help whatsoever? Before I lose my mind…

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Re: Having trouble with upgrading to new smart hub…

Go to solution

Assuming that you haven't also upgraded to FTTP & so don't have a new ONT installed inside, just use your old DSL cable in the grey broadband port of the SH2.

If you do have FTTP, the a RJ45 cable goes from the ONT to LAN4/WAN on the SH2. You then need to make sure that FTTP mode is enabled in the SH2, as that port is dual purpose.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 11

Go to solution

It seems that you have  a standalone FTTC modem that your old router connected to , and now have a SH2 , the separate Openreach FTTC modem isn’t needed  ( TBH , they haven’t been necessary in most instances for years ) you probably need to disconnect it and connect your SH2 directly or via a micro filter to the phone socket .

Message 4 of 11

Go to solution

I missed the "Old BT Box" so @iniltous is probably correct in that you have a separate modem. But the same advice still applies, remove the DSL cable from the modem & plug it into the SH2's broadband port.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 11

Go to solution

I did wonder but my brain didn’t register that I could plug it out. I noticed that there really wasn’t much use of the FTTC (just learnt the term). 

And naturally, it’s worked! Thank you so much.

Just to add on, there is a separate blue cable that we had plugged in the old Hub in ‘GigE’ port and now in the ‘WAN’ port in the new one. Searched up and saw they aren’t the same port, however, the Hub will only work with this cable in this port so… safe bet is to leave it now that it’s working? 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 11

Go to solution

Sorry I was trying to figure this all out, thank you for your previous reply anyway! It helped me try and understand the difference parts of my issue which is both equally overwhelming and interesting! 

I’ve used the DSL cable from the box that feels partly useless now and it’s working. However, I’ve already had a connection hiccup where I’ve lost the interest entirely for a minute and came back on? I actually pray it’s some sort of ‘settling in’ process…

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 11

Go to solution

It's possible the SH2 may have performed a firmware update & that caused the connection to drop.

The old modem is now redundant & can be disconnected.

No idea what the blue cable could be, possible  the connection to your PC? But as you say, if it's working then all's good.

Message 8 of 11

Go to solution

Okay that’s settling to know at least. It’s working smooth again now, fingers crossed. 

The blue cable is like a standalone ‘TP-LINK’ plug in that’s in at the socket with the rest, it says like ‘85mps’ as well as ‘eth’ so I just assume it’s an Ethernet connection? Not sure considering how old our wifi setup was and has been for years now. But it seems to be doing the trick, as it did with our old Hub so I’ll see how it goes. 

Thanks again to the two of you! My mind is yet to be lost.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 11

Go to solution

See link and sub links about connecting the BT Smarthub 2

https://www.bt.com/help/broadband/getting-set-up/how-to-set-up

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 11

Go to solution

@gg30340 

I see that despite reporting those links as incorrect months back in April, it's still not fixed. If you follow the SH2 journey & then select either of the master sockets, you are then still shown images of an ONT!

https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-setup-Wi-Fi-network/FAO-Moderators/m-p/2379937

0 Ratings