cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 24

Re: Help! BT blocking a website i was building!

will give it a go, currently in a live chat with the hosting providers again. Hopefully find out who's blocking who..
0 Ratings
Message 12 of 24

@sheltonjb wrote:
Yes i know, i wanted to see what the error was.
Apron dude is correct when it's working right.

Hmm. We’re having trouble finding that site.

We can’t connect to the server at www.mattyedgell.com.

If you entered the right address, you can:
  • Try again later
  • Check your network connection
  • Check that Firefox has permission to access the web (you might be connected but behind a firewall)

Message 13 of 24

Looks like a DNS problem alright:

C:\Users\notwa>nslookup www.mattyedgell.com 8.8.8.8
Server: dns.google
Address: 8.8.8.8

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: www.mattyedgell.com
Address: 69.163.142.58

C:\Users\notwa>nslookup www.mattyedgell.com
Server: bthub
Address: 192.168.1.254

*** bthub can't find www.mattyedgell.com: Non-existent domain

C:\Users\notwa>

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 24

thanks for looking Paul.

I'm not massively technical, but can get about a bit.

If it's a DNS issue, then surely the site wouldn't load at all, no matter what network you're on?

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 24

It rather depends on when the various DNS servers update, so it is not unusual to see problems like this with very new entries, iirc it can be up to 48hrs before the DNS servers are up to date - unfortunately I can't remember which DNS servers that refers to 

Update: Try a google search  for "how long for a dns change to propagate"

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 24

I've tried Google, Cloudfare and OpenDNS servers and all return the ip address. It seems BT are a little behind, when did your DNS entry update take place?

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 24

Interesting, as I usually use Cloudfare DNS but that doesn't work so tried Google and that didn't work either.

Did you actually try to access the site using those DNS settings or just perform the lookup?

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 24

Initially I set the website up about 2 weeks ago, and I’ve been building it behind the holding page since. Then 3 days ago it just wouldn’t load. And since then I’ve gone down this rabbit hole. Not being massively technical I’m not too sure where to turn next. BT just don’t think it’s them and so won’t help although from the people I spoke to they seem to just be reading off a script or something. Anything that’s off that you’ve got no hope. 

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 24

I initially thought it could be a DNS problem, but I'm leaning more to it being blocked by BT.

Unfortunately, your only hope is the email address I posted but don't hold your breath for a reply.

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 24

@licquorice I only did the DNS lookup as I assumed that the op was using a BT router and had no control over which DNS server was being used.

I just tried from Firefox by setting Firefox to use Cloudfare (Settings, Privacy & Security, Enable DNS over HTTPS and select Max Protection then Cloudfare) and I do get the dodgy looking character.

I therefore don't think BT is blocking access to the site, but think their DNS is out of sync.