cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Help with fluctuating speeds

My BT fire has been really sluggish over the last 5 days or so.  My usual max speed is capped out at 60mbps - last Friday I was hitting 2mb per second tops (using online tests like speedtest.net / BT wholesale speed test). I restarted my router (BT Smart Hub 2) and it seemed to help, but onyl for a bit.

Fast forward to today and again I notice my speeds are sluggish, web pages open very slowly.

Speedtest.net reported 70mbps which is faster than I've ever had, and the next test was 36mps. BT wholesale reports 1.2mbps and the next was 62. 

It's all over the place and I desperately I need good internet for my work,  it's killing me.

This is not device dependant - iPhone, Mac OS and Xbox all experience poor speed issues.

One thing I have noticed - from years of using speedtest.net - the speed generally ramps quickly to 60mbps but now, even when it reports a good final speed, it starts off very slowly and takes an absolute age to get to that number. 

Can anyone Help!?

wtfma.jpg

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Help with fluctuating speeds

@gerbiljones 

Is this wi-fi or wired or both?

Post an image of your router connection stats as that can be helpful.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

Wifi - I can wire via a homeplug but that causes it's own issues.

Screenshot 2024-09-24 at 13.12.25.png

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

Anyone?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

TBH , any speed test to be ‘valid’ needs to be wired , although that may not be the way you usually connect to your router ,  with WiFi poor speeds may have nothing to do with your ISP or Openreach, as your own environment , which obviously is outside the control of your provider, plays a significant part in the speed you get wirelessly.

Your router stats seem fine , and don’t suggest any issue although that is the connection rate not the throughput, you could be on a congested ‘route’ , a way to check for this is trying at a quiet time , if your speeds are poor after 9pm ( generally a quiet time ) or early morning, then it’s not likely to be congestion, and obviously if it’s only on WiFi you experience poor speeds it’s not really an issue your ISP can address .

If  speeds on WiFi were OK previously and only recently took a dive , it may be a neighbour may have new  equipment that is using the same WiFi channel that your devices connect to

0 Ratings