cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Home hub firewall setup

Go to solution

I’m hoping there is a way - either using some work around or compatible third party software -  that will work with my home hub that will allow me to blacklist given IP ranges in an attempt to block traffic to and from Russia. Is this possible?

If not, is there a router I can buy that works with BT’s broadband that can accomplish this, or some other kind of fix? BT has been no help at all  

Thank you in advance.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Home hub firewall setup

Go to solution

Your hub firewall will block ALL unsolicited incoming traffic, there is no need for any further action.

You can use any third party router you like with BT broadband.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution
Except I know it’s not. Plus I’m interested in blocking outgoing as well. I know of routers that have a built in geoblocking capability and I’ve heard of some third-party software that can do it, but I won’t invest in any unless I know it’ll work.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

Then I suggest you ask on a more general forum rather than BT specific.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

Not sure how helpful that would be since I need it to work with the Smart Hub. I’ve been reading more about this and I’ve been recommended finding a router with preloaded OpenWrt, but again, I need to find out if it’s compatible. 

I did find something online which looks like it can do exactly what I want called Firewalla, but it’s not cheap and as far as I could tell, untested with BT. Also, it’s a US product and they can’t really help me with this. 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

You don't need it to work with the Smart Hub, as I posted earlier, you can use whatever third party router you like and dispense with the BT hub. There is absolutely nothing you can do with the BT hub firewall other than turn it on or off.

I've no idea why you think your hub firewall is being bypassed in any case.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

Oh, I somehow missed that I could totally bypass the Smart Hub. Will those black disc repeater thingies work without the Smart Hub? 

I suppose my next step is to look into which geo filtering capable router works with BT, but to confirm, you’ve said I can use any?

I might start a new topic to ask if anyone has gotten the a Firewalla Blue + to work with the Smart Hub because it’s an interesting piece of hardware. 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

No, the black discs only work with the smart Hub2. The white discs (whole home) work with any router.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution
Thank you for all your help!
0 Ratings