cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Home security cameras

Any help much appreciated as I am at my wits end, do not understand difference between hub/router/modem and am very confused. Need some home cameras indoor and outdoor for elderly parent who does not have broadband, no smart phone (not yet digital). I did research and thought I could get cameras with a sim which was expensive or wifi ones which need broadband so I have ordered a broadband package just for the cameras. Now when I come to look for a camera I am unsure whether I need a BT hub for the broadband/wifi at all-it will be a smart hub 2.....surely the camera has to talk to a wifi connection which is the hub, right ? And then I can access the camera via an app on my phone ? . Don't want to pay for something we don't need, don't want a subscription but need to record. Sorry if I seem thick, I am tying myself in knots with all of this

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Home security cameras

The BT smart Hub2 is a combined router and modem. If you order a broadband package with BT, you will be supplied with one.Yes, the camera(s) will connect to the hub via WiFi and you will need a broadband connection to access them remotely.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

Thankyou so much, I thought I understood it but looking at lots of cameras it says you don't need a hub but you do need a router, hence my confusion. When you say ' you will need a broadband connection to access them remotely'...do you mean we both need broadband ? I can use my home wifi/broadband or my data on my mobile to connect to the cameras correct ? Do you know if watching the cameras uses up a lot of data on my mobile ? Sorry again, have brain fog about it all. Many thanks

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

You both need broadband, it won't use a massive amount of data. You will be able to connect either via your broadband or mobile data.

It is not entirely straightforward depending on what cameras you use and how they connect.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

Thankyou again, I really appreciate your time and help, I understand better now. I have used this forum once before and find you people always get back to me, invaluable to me !

0 Ratings