cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 21 of 30

Re: How do I remove (temporarily) devices from my BT Smart Hub 2 in order to fix a problem with my t

Go to solution

@BillR48 wrote:

That is exactly what it is doing.   Only it doesn't always work, I can temporarily fix the fault by doing a "soft reboot" of the tv, after which I can launch any of the various players.   It's guaranteed that the next time I switch on the tv and try and launch any of the players it comes up with an error message.

As suggested I've gone into the Hub and located the tv, and saved "YES" against "Always use this IP Address".   The connection status is showing "not connected".   I tried launching the apps following your advice and got the usual error message.  

The fix for this is in preventing the tv loosing its connection to the Hub.   How to do this - I wouldn't know.   

Did you check after soft resetting the TV so that it would remake the connection with that IP address?

0 Ratings
Message 22 of 30

Re: How do I remove (temporarily) devices from my BT Smart Hub 2 in order to fix a problem with my t

Go to solution

No, I'm not on FTTP.  

0 Ratings
Message 23 of 30

Go to solution

Re Did you check after soft resetting the TV so that it would remake the connection with that IP address?

Apologies, gg30340, I'm on the edge of my technical capability with this, can you expand on what you are asking me please. 

0 Ratings
Message 24 of 30

Go to solution

You stated that when you set the "Always use this IP address" that it was showing as not connected and that iPlayer wouldn't work.

You said your usual fix when it wouldn't work was to soft reset the TV in order to get it to work. 

I was asking did you soft reset the TV after setting Yes to using the same IP address and if so did it connect. 

0 Ratings
Message 25 of 30

Go to solution

Yes, it has connected.   Not every time, but it almost always connects after a soft reboot. 

0 Ratings
Message 26 of 30

Go to solution

Now that it has connected and the setting has been set to Yes see how it gets on now.

0 Ratings
Message 27 of 30

Go to solution

@BillR48wrote:

No, I'm not on FTTP.  

Do you know your connection speed? 

0 Ratings
Message 28 of 30

Go to solution

The download speed is 8.4Mb/s.

0 Ratings
Message 29 of 30

Go to solution

@BillR48wrote:

The download speed is 8.4Mb/s.

The reason I asked is because of the bandwidth required for streaming, a speed could 8.4 suggests that perhaps you and/or others in your house are using more than you have available.

For example, with such a slow connection, you could well find that you just don't have enough bandwidth to watch TV in HD whilst others in your household are (say) browsing, downloading files & playing online games?

0 Ratings
Message 30 of 30

Go to solution

Thanks Les.   

There are only two of us and we don't have an issue with the connection speed.  We are both well into our 70's, which may explain why!   

I have recently purchased a tv firestick from Amazon, and this is a satisfactory work around.   We can now watch the player apps without having to reboot the tv every time.  Interestingly, purchasing this device was suggested by a home engineer sent by BT to check out our Hub!

Having tried to fix this fault since November last year without success, I'm drawing a line under it - giving up in other words, and thank everyone who have responded to my initial request for help. 

BillR