cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3

How do I replace an old BT (master) connection?

Hello, like many I live in an old Victorian house that has, over the years, had lots of extensions etc. added to the phone line. I have removed several of these as they served no purpose. I have no idea exactly where the runs of cables go as many are hidden in walls or under carpets, floors, etc. My 'main line' is in the lounge and it's to this that my router is attached. I'm pretty certain that this is not the first socket as the cable in runs in above the front door and the lounge is on the first floor. What I'd like is a new connection from the cabinet to a new master socket in the lounge. At present I do not have any master socket in the house, something that seems unusual every time I have to report an issue with broadband dropping out. I'm always asked to unscrew the face plate and plug into the internal jack which I simply don't have but would very much like! I've tried my broadband supplier and they don't seem to understand or be interested. Can anyone offer some advice? Can I contact BT or Openreach directly? I'm happy to pay a small charge up to £150 as I'm sure it's the route of most of my broadband issues, cheers!

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Re: How do I replace an old BT (master) connection?

@KJH13wrote:

I'm happy to pay a small charge up to £150 as I'm sure it's the route of most of my broadband issues, cheers!

A master socket move is £130 for Openreach to come out and move the master socket to your preferred location, ring BT and request one, any extra socket extensions you might want are £65 each.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 3

Re: How do I replace an old BT (master) connection?

@-Richie-  I suspect BT isn't the OP's supplier.

@KJH13  If BT isn't your ISP,  you need to contact your ISP and get them to request a socket move from Openreach rather than BT.

0 Ratings