cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 21 of 28

Re: How to get SH2 working with Firewalla Purple SE and Draytek Vigor 160

Why not just use the SH2 as the first device the your firewall as the only device connected to the SH2? You might want to put your firewall into the SH2 DMZ and follow a similar  setup to those that have setup a second router connected to the SH2. That way you get DV plus all you devices protected by your own firewall. You might be able to use the firewall without another router but would want a WAP and possibly a DHCP server(though the Draytek might provide those even if not used as a router.) 

Message 22 of 28

@countrypaul  Exactly. 

@bbc_owl   I have an SH2 connected for DV.  All other traffic is passed to my Draytek (a router).  BT are happy as they can see their equipment at the end of the connection.  I’m happy as my firewall/router is the gateway to my network and managing my network.  It works fine, unless you are a gamer that frets about every ms of latency.

Either I've misunderstood what you are trying to do or you seem to be making this way more complicated than it needs to be. 

Message 23 of 28

I'm relying on my SH2 for WiFi, and I have a BT WiFi disc too.  If I were to put my Firewalla on the LAN side of the SH2, I would have to invest in my own additional WiFi equipment and I wouldn't be able to use the SH2 for WiFi.  I could do that, but I was hoping to find a solution with the equipment I already have and not have to invest in anything else.  Although note to future self: it seems reasonable to buy a Firewalla Purple with built-in WiFi and do it this way around.  Sadly I only have a Purple SE with no Wi-Fi capability.

0 Ratings
Message 24 of 28

After more reading up about the Firewalla Purple SE, I've discovered that DHCP mode holds the answers to all of my problems!  https://help.firewalla.com/hc/en-us/articles/115004304114-Switch-to-DHCP-Mode-?_gl=1*x5hhug*_ga*MTc4....

I've set this up and it's working fine.  Plugged it into the SH2 LAN like any other device in the home, configured it in DHCP mode and disabled DHCP on the SH2.  Now all the devices that connect to my home WiFi get their IP addresses from the Firewalla and are routed through it.  I didn't need the Draytek after all.  Digital Voice unaffected.  Problem solved.

Thanks to everyone who made suggestions in this thread.  Your time and ideas were greatly appreciated.

0 Ratings
Message 25 of 28

You can certainly get a WiFi 6 Access point for under £50 and that will give much better performance than  the SH2 which is only WiFi5 - assuming your clients can make use of the extra bandwidth course.

You don't say which BT disc you have, some are compatible with WiFi other than from the SH2.

Posted before your latest post was available. How are you providing the WiFi as you said the Firewalla did not have WiFi? If it is provided by the SH2 then surely WiFi devices are bypassing the Firewalla.

0 Ratings
Message 26 of 28

I am using the SH2 for WiFi.  In DHCP mode, the Firewalla takes on the job of the DHCP server, handing out IP addresses and making itself as the gateway.

0 Ratings
Message 27 of 28

Ok, so I've finally got around to testing this.

I can confirm that a Smart Hub 2 with LAN port 4 set to FTTP mode and connected to an Huawei HG612 modem providing FTTC access, DOES still provide Digital Voice capability.

Not sure what it achieves other than providing line stats though.

0 Ratings
Message 28 of 28

Hi @bbc_owl ,

Can you help with providing more details on how you managed this please?

I am trying with a Firewalla Purple and a SH3.

Turning off the built in DHCP in the SH3 along with IPV6 and connecting just the Firewalla (LAN to LAN) has meant that everything connecting now does go through the Firewalla - but using features such as blocking the internet doesn't seem to work?

Thank you for any help and pointers.

0 Ratings