cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 18

How to get a Smart Hub 2 from BT

My current home network includes a BT Smart Hub plugged directly into the Master BT socket and setup as a "modem only" (note: this isn't an actual mode on the Hub, which is a shame, but is a status where wifi and DHCP routing are turned off leaving only the internet modem capabilities being used).

Plugged into the Smart Hub via ethernet cable is one of my three TP-Link Deco M9 units (the main unit), which provide an excellent home wifi with sufficient coverage around our home.  The main Deco unit attached to the BT Hub plugs into an ethernet wall socket that feeds the rest of the house via a switch and 1 gigabit wired network.  The other two TP-Link Deco M9 units are plugged into this wired network essentially providing additional access points for my home mesh network using a wired backhaul.

This has worked perfectly for nearly 3 years, since I purchased the Deco system.

However...  a couple of weeks ago the main Deco unit reported there was no internet access.  After lots of messing about I finally got the system back up and working, but it was necessary to reboot the BT Smart Hub, even though it was showing a blue light indicating it had an internet connection.

Since then, this issue has occurred randomly on another 3 occasions.  Each time, simply rebooting the Deco units does NOT resolve the issue and it is necessary to reboot the BT Smart Hub, then the Deco units, in turn, to get everything up and working again.

Last Friday (4 days ago) I called BT support and they ran some checks and identified a fault at the exchange and arranged for a Openreach engineer to visit me.  On Saturday he called stating there were no issues at the exchange and nothing had been reported and he was here to only check my internet connection, which he did and found no issues.  So, a little confusing that BT support should tell me they had found a fault and the engineer told me there were no faults!

At least I now know the issue isn't with the BT/Openreach network, but this still doesn't get to the bottom of the cause of the issue.

As I suspect it is the BT Smart Hub, since it always needs to be rebooted when the issue occurs, I contacted BT support today and asked if it was possible for them to send out a BT Smart Hub 2.  I have received an email informing me that Digital Voice is coming soon and I'm aware that my current Hub does NOT have a phone socket, so I will require BT to supply a BT Smart Hub 2.  It makes perfect sense to me that they should send me one now, in advance, given my current BT Smart Hub is potentially having random internet connection issues.

BT support refused to send one out.

So, is there any way I can persuade BT to send me a BT Smart Hub 2?  I live in Wetherby, West Yorkshire, which is one of the areas that will soon be receiving Digital Voice.  Why won't BT use common sense and help me out by sending me a Smart Hub 2 now rather than in a few months time?

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18

Re: How to get a Smart Hub 2 from BT

have you actually tried a factory reset of the hub as against just a reboot.  at present you don't know if the hub is the problem or the rest of your setup causing hub to have a problem.  if you can identify the hub is the problem then you can phone CS 03301234150 and request hub replacement

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 18

You are correct, at this stage I don't know if it is the Hub or my Deco units.  For me, the easiest way to determine this is to replace the Hub and as BT will be asking (forcing) me to replace it soon when they rollout Digital Voice, I see no reason why it shouldn't be replaced a little earlier - one less thing to do at a later date and I will then be ready for Digital Voice.

If the issue goes away with the new Hub 2 I will then know it was the Hub causing the issue.  If not, then I will pursue TP-Link Support, who are also currently blaming the Hub for the issue!

What exactly will performing a factory reset on the Smart Hub achieve that a reboot won't (apart from me having to re-configure the hub)?

Thanks.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 18

For the few pounds it would cost it would be easier & quicker to pick up another SH from Facebook Marketplace. Or even an older HH5 seeing as you're only using the modem.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 18

I know what you are saying, but by the time I've collected it, the petrol will have cost more than the hub itself.

Why should I buy one when BT will soon be sending me one?  I just want them to send it a little sooner than they may have planned.  Surely, this will actually be helping them and they should want more customers actively engaging in their Digital Voice rollout?

Their refusal to send one simply reflects on how BT is still a large, inflexible company, with offshore support staff that follow a script and don't think for themselves.

Another option, which I'm currently investigating, is to move to another broadband provider as they will send me a router free of charge.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 18

As you are still in contract with BT that could be a costly decision

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 7 of 18

Or could it simply be they're not seeing any fault so have no reason to send a new hub which costs £200?

Also I love the swipe about offshore support given all centres are UK & Ireland based!

Message 8 of 18

@imjolly yes, being in a contract until next February is a bummer, especially given the recent huge mid contract increase that BT forced on us.  I would have to take that into consideration.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 18

@garybs29 if it's so expensive, do you think BT will therefore think twice about sending out the Smart Hub 2 when they force me onto Digital Voice?

I'm not seeing Digital Voice working very well with my current Smart Hub!

Based the fact they were offshore on their very poor English grammar.  Maybe I was unlucky and simply got an Irish person with English as their second language.  I stand corrected.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 18

If when the problem appears you can plug a PC directly into the hub (valid static ip address required on PC) then see if the hub works for that. Disconnect the Deco system and if the fault is still present simply log it as a fault that requires repeated reboots of your router and you suspect the router has gone faulty. Being simply PC to router with nothing else connected would make it hard for BT to argue it was not the router if OR can find no faults.

0 Ratings