cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

ICMP ipv6 signalling on SH 2

Still on copper and using the SH 2 as suggested by BT help person.

Testing the IPv6 there is no ICMP ipv6. Ipv6 and ipv4 firewall rules enabled on device to allow pings, echos and other requests. It's assigned by the hub but not available when tested.

Can ICMP ipv6 be enabled and visible on a device - when tested for - on the SH 2 ?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: ICMP ipv6 signalling on SH 2

The devices should work fine but I would expect the SH2 to be blocking ICMP traffic at the firewall.  It’s a god send for DoS attacks.  Most routers have an option to block ping requests from the WAN.  I haven’t seen the option on the SH2, so I would expect it to be set to block by default.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

I don't think any BT Hub has had an option to respond to ping, certainly not from the HH5 onwards.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

Not wok.jpg

Best guess - the hub is filtering?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

ICMP is implemented for IPv6 on the hub.IPv6 wouldn't work unless it was as it relies on ICMP for router advertisment.

PING, however, is blocked by both IPv4 and IPv6 by the hub.

ICMP is much more than 'ping'.

Message 6 of 8

Now I'm wondering why can't ICMP be detected if it's there?

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

As Licquorice said, ICMP (or Internet Control Message Protocol) is the protocol behind a lot of things.

It depends on what you are trying to use.  Certainly, things like ping from the WAN are going to be blocked, although it is allowed within the LAN and I suspect a lot of other things are allowed only in the LAN.

You say “testing for IPv6 there is no ICMP”.  Perhaps if you were a bit more explicit about what the problem is people could provide a bit more help.  If IPv6 is failing to connect, I doubt it is anything to do with ICMP.  I’ve used IPv6 for many years now with no problem, including on the SH2. 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

I get the same results on the IPv6-test site as as OP but I'm using that third party router, and my IPv6 appears to have been running (almost) flawlessly since my install date.  It's probably fair to say there's a little more configuration here than most users will have made, and getting ICMP wrong is not the only error that IPv6-test throws up that other sites don't have an issue with!
*If it works and the test site says it doesn't then it may be the test site that is in the wrong!

I only learn by making mistakes and owning up to them - boy do I learn a lot!
0 Ratings