cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 21 of 25

Re: IPTV settings on ER605

Go to solution

@licquorice 

Another thought, my understanding is that PIM is not a protocol, it is a broadcast of packets without a protocol (such asPPoE).

It could be that the TP-Link software defines a PPoE interface very tightly, so excludes any UDP packets outside of that encapsulation. Other router software may take a different approach.

This is way outside my experience or knowledge, I’m just happy to have it working 😉

cheers

Message 22 of 25

Go to solution

Hello, apologies for bumping an old thread and thanks to everyone who contributed with useful information.

I will need to replace a Homehub with a DrayTek router and will need to have the IP TV service working, I'm trying to figure out what's required before making the change.

@mhoamwhen you say in message 15
...hence the need for a Router capable of handling two connections from the ONT
...do you mean two physical Ethernet links (2 x patch leads from the ONT to the router)? Many ONTs I have seen only have one port (this one may have more, I haven't had it installed yet).

Thanks

0 Ratings
Message 23 of 25

Go to solution

HI @1550 

No, My router (ER605) does support multiple WAN ports for different (fallback) inbound networks but I use only one connection from the OpenReach ONT to the WAN port on my router. As you say, most ONTs only have one physical connection.

However, my router does allow you to define two logical interfaces on the single WAN port, the main one is for the PPoE connection to the BT network for the normal traffic, the other is a secondary interface with a  static 10.10.x.x address which picks up the Multicast packets used for the BT TV channels.

I've no idea whether DrayTek routers support such a secondary logical interface on the main WAN port for MultiCast packets. Also with the sale of BT Sport to TNT I do wonder how long BT TV will survive in its current form. I know some of the TNT sports channels are "broadcast" over BT TV but only their streaming app provides the full TNT offering.

Good Luck

0 Ratings
Message 24 of 25

Go to solution

@mhoamthanks for the info and the fast reply.

As far as I can see, DrayTek routers only support multi-PVC on the xDSL WAN ports  and not on the Ethernet WAN. So I might have to find a different way of getting this to work. Basically a PBX with SIP trunks will be on the LAN so I need to open port 5060 but lock it down to the SIP trunk provider's IP ranges. I don't believe the Homehub has that capability.

BTW if you want to view dead links in future you could try using the wonderful Wayback Machine, the link in your OP is archived there https://web.archive.org/web/20200805182707/https://community.bt.com/t5/Archive-Staging/Using-a-3rd-p...

0 Ratings
Message 25 of 25

Go to solution
Any advice on how to do this on OPNsense?
0 Ratings