cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

Intermittent Wi-Fi issues

Hello,

Apologies if I have gone about this the wrong way or I am in the wrong forum!

I have been a BT customer with broadband since August of this year.  Everything has been fine up until the last couple of weeks.  2 weeks ago I noticed that my iPhone was failing to update emails, Twitter feed etc unless I quickly toggled the wi-fi off and on.  Nothing else seemed to be an issue (streaming, TV etc) so I sort of ignored it hoping it would go away.

Then, a week ago my home hub went into 'amber flashing mode' I did a hard reset and it returned to the amber flashing.  I texted BT help with my landline and the message back said they would 'run some tests to see if there was a problem on the line'  During the time they took to complete this test, the hub went back to working fine.

The same thing has happened 2 or 3 times a day since the first occasion and every time I text 'help' and they auto run what I assume to be a diagnostic check on the phone line, it starts working again.

I am not entirely sure my techical language (despite being vaguely tech savvy) is good enough to explain this over the phone to an engineer who I am worried will simply run the same test again etc.  So I thought I might try my luck here to see if anyone else has had a similar issue.

Any help would be greatly receieved!

Thanks

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 2 of 11

Re: Intermittent Wi-Fi issues

Flashing amber means that the hub is connecting to the internet (https://www.bt.com/help/mybtapp/what-do-the-lights-on-my-bt-hub-mean-) therefore it would seem reasonable to assume that you have an intermittent disconnection

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 11

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the stats from your router (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser) and if  HH5 then go to troubleshooting then helpdesk and if HH6/SH2 then advanced settings then technical log information . 

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

which master socket do you have

Keith_Beddoe_0-1577035081757.jpegMaster socket types.jpeg

enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number   https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 4 of 11

The stats are below (perhaps in two messages as I go over the max. characters if I paste both in)

I have completed the quiet line test and all seems well, bar some slight interferance which I imagine comes from the age of the handset I was using rather than anything else.

Many Thanks

Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream HandbackThreshold(Mbps) WBC FTTC Availability Date WBC SOGEA Availability Date Left in JumperHigh Low High Low        VDSL Range A (Clean)
VDSL Range B (Impacted)
25.5181.91.215AvailableAvailable--
25.114.71.91.110AvailableAvailable--
Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range (Mbps) Availability Date FTTP Install ProcessFTTP on Demand
33030--Available--
ADSL Products Downstream Line Rate (Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range(Mbps) ADSL Availability Date WBC SOADSL Availability Date Left in JumperWBC ADSL 2+WBC ADSL2+ Annex MADSL MaxWBC Fixed RateFixed Rate
Up to 12.5--11.5 to 14AvailableAvailable--
Up to 12.5Up to 111.5 to 14AvailableAvailable--
Up to 5--3.5 to 7.5AvailableAvailable--
2----AvailableAvailable--
2----Available----
Observed Speeds VDSLMax Observed Downstream SpeedMax Observed Upstream SpeedObserved Date
2020-11-17
Other Offerings Availability DateVDSL MulticastADSL Multicast
Available
Available
Premise Environment StatusBridge TapVRINTE FacePlateLast Test Date
U
N
N
11-11-2020
Exchange Product Restrictions StatusFTTP Priority ExchangeWLR WithdrawalSOADSL Restriction
N
N
Y

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 11

Sorry, forgot to say it is socket number 2 as per the diagram.

Product code:Smart Hub 2

Serial number:+091298+2024037951

Firmware version:v0.21.03.07094-BT

Firmware updated:Fri Oct 23 10:41:00 2020

Board version:R01

GUI version:1.56 15_02_2019

DSL uptime:0 days,03 Hours29 Mins08 Secs

Data rate:2.283 Mbps / 19.998 Mbps

Maximum data rate:2.386 Mbps / 23.504 Mbps

Noise margin:5.8 / 8.3

Line attenuation:14.3 / 31.0

Signal attenuation:14.3 / 29.2

VLAN id:101

Upstream error control:Off

Downstream error control:Off

Data sent / received:160.3 MB Uploaded  / 3.5 GB Downloaded

Broadband username:bthomehub@btbroadband.com

BT Wi-fi:Activated

2.4 GHz wireless network name:BT-J8AJ67

2.4 GHz wireless channel:Smart (Channel1)

5 GHz wireless network name:BT-J8AJ67

5 GHz wireless channel:Smart (Channel36)

Wireless security:WPA2 (Recommended)

Wireless mode:Mode 1

Firewall:On

MAC address:18:82:8C:80:26:5E

Software variant:-

Boot loader: 0.1.7-BT (Thu Nov 30 09:45:22 2017)

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 11

if you tried the quiet line test with corded phone and there is any noise apart from announcement then that is a problem and you need to report a phone fault to 150      however before doing that try quiet line test with new filter using the test socket which is behind the removable bottom half of the master socket

are you actually dropping wifi connection when hub light remains blue when drop happens the hub light changes to orange?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 7 of 11

OK, I will retry the quiet line test with the test filter.

I haven't managed to catch the light actally change yet.  It remains blue when I am having issues with the connectivity on my iPhone.  It is more that suddenly my laptop won't load a page or my echo dot will turn off etc and then I notice the hub has turned to amber.  Then I text 'help' they do whatever they do autmatically at the other end and it goes blue again within a few minutes and all seems well.

Thanks very much

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 11

if your router is changing colour from blue to orange then although you still should have wifi connection to your devices just there is no internet connection which is different if colour remains blue as that shows you are dropping the wireless signal from your hub  if that is the case you can try using a wifi analyser on your phone and see what networks are near you and channels in use  you can the change the wireless channel in the hub to a free or less congested channel which may help your devices

Message 9 of 11

It is definitely the first option, the issue with my phone and the wifi I can deal with...I imagine it might be because of too many devices on the hub etc. 

I am starting to think that it is definitely a different issue than the internet dropping entirely which is the part that is bothering me the most.  (ie when the hub simply turns to flashing amber and it takes the text message service to get it up and running again)

I have completed the quiet line test with the test socket and all I hear on the line is very very faint static (via a cordless phone)

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 11

cordless the norm is a dull hum anything else can be a problem for your broadband

you can try staying in test socket with new filter and see if that helps connection and stops hub light turning orange.  number of devices will not cause wifi to drop