cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Internet drops out in the afternoons

Hi again helpful souls!

I have fibre500 with halo and following advise here also use a TP link extender to get internet in my garden office building.

it’s brilliant first thing but from 1pm gets slow and frequently disconnects the broadband phone etc. from around 3pm I get no internet in the office.

is there a simple fix for this and would it be covered under the BT speed guarantee?

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Internet drops out in the afternoons

the BT speed guarantee applies to connection speed to SH2 not to speed at extender in garden

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

I thought this would be the case.
Why would the issues I’m having be happening though?
What can I do to improve things?
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

Have you checked with something directly connected to the SH2 (eg Laptop with ethernet) whether the broadband is being interupted as your message implies it is the link to the garden office?

If it is the SH2 that is losing connection to the Internet then it would be BT responsiblity.

If it is just the garden office (which presumably has power) the it may well be interference  from outside in some way. If your garden office gets power from your house could you use powerline adapters to provide access to the Internet?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

Is this a Wi-Fi repeater type extender or a Powerline Converter type?

If the latter, does the garden office building have it's own consumer unit?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

I’m not actually sure.
It’s. TP link AV600 and I think the office does have its own consumer unit. I thought it’s strange it will work in the mornings and not the afternoons though. That’s puzzling.
I considered an exterior grade Ethernet but will this solve the problem?
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

This is a good tip!
I’ve not noticed a Wi-Fi issue in the house but will test this today
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

Hi @Mairclam and thanks for posting.

I'd be interested to know how you get this sorted so please keep us updated.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

I long ago stumbled upon a solution for a very similar problem whilst using these devices.

I had one in the house and one in a detached building which has it's own consumer unit (so two consumer units between the two ends of the link).

Every 5 or 10 days or thereabouts, the link would fail and the only way to re-establish it was to power cycle both ends of the link, they both then worked ok for another 5 or 10 days before the link failed again.

The solution turned out to be installing a second unit in another room in the house by buying an extra pair and following the instructions to expand the network.

So I now have three units, two in the house and one in the detached building, and the link has been stable for around 10 months but whether this method will work with other makes is anyone's guess and how or why it works at all is beyond me, I just know that it works for me.

0 Ratings