cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Internet goes down to 0.02 mbps when uploading

Hi,

Recently for work I've had to upload about 70gb of footage to Dropbox.

For some reason this drastically kills my internet. I've used the bandwidth settings to throttle upload to 2000kbps but even that doesn't fix it.

I have the BT Hub 1, and usually get about 60-70mbps.

I've come across this thread. Is there any BT expert who can update my configuration settings like they did @aidanhs?

Thanks,

Neil

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Internet goes down to 0.02 mbps when uploading

I would politely suggest if you are regularly uploading that volume of data you need a proper leased line connection rather than a domestic broadband connection.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

I'm not regularly uploading that amount, it's just a very recent one off event.

Is there any fix to BT throttling my data?

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Its not throttling, its the way that TCP/IP works. Each downloaded packet(s) have to be acknowledged by the receiving end before any more can be send. This requires upload bandwidth.

If you are using up most of your upload bandwidth, then these acknowledgements are restricted, so your download speed is throttled,

You need to look at your actual available upload speed by running a speed test. Then restrict your application upload speed to no more than 80% of that speed. Remember not to confuse bits and bytes.

Message 5 of 7

In the past week since attempting to upload some files I've had constant drops and have had to restart my router a couple of times.

For context, I've attached my speed before and after attempting to upload a 25gb file. Is a 40mb drop in download speed in 3 minutes normal?

And yes, I've restricted my dropbox upload speed to 3,000kbps, still no dice.

screenshot1.jpgscreenshot2.jpg

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Nevermind, luckily my contract is up in a month so will be moving to NOW broadband. 👍

Thanks for the help.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

@mangoface wrote:

Nevermind, luckily my contract is up in a month so will be moving to NOW broadband. 👍

Thanks for the help.

They use exactly the same Openreach network.

You are still getting 16mbs download speed while your upload drops to 9mbs from 18mbs, that would seem about right, you must be uploading more than you think.

0 Ratings