cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Is my smarthub 2 Faulty? very laggy and slow Ookla speeds with recent upgrade to Fibre 900

I hope teh experienced folks on here can help me out. I've recently taken advantage of the special offer to upgrade to Fibre 900 from 300.

Before the upgrade the service was very solid - regularly giving advertised speeds, even on ookla etc.

When the upgrade happened, I was pleased to see the speeds increase - I realise with my home set up I won't get anything like the advertised speed, but Ookla/fast was regularly hitting 400mb/s down and 110 mb/s up so was happy for an extra £1 a month.

About 10 days after the upgrade, I noticed that the internet has become very laggy - I work from home so zoom and teams are key, but now get drop-outs, freezing etc. on calls.

Speed tests often fail with ping times over 1 second, download speeds about 15-20, uploads in kb/s range.

Running the BT speed test gives line speeds of 920-930 down, and 115up, all showing green.

The issue is across devices - iphones, ipad, laptops etc.

I've reset the Hub, the ONT, the devices, but to no avail.

Is the next suspect the hub itself?

Many thanks for any pointers/advice.

Neil.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: Is my smarthub 2 Faulty? very laggy and slow Ookla speeds with recent upgrade to Fibre 900

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

Re: Is my smarthub 2 Faulty? very laggy and slow Ookla speeds with recent upgrade to Fibre 900

Does this only happen with wireless devices or is it the same with wired devices?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

Yes, smart setup was switched off as soon as I got it about a year ago when first got fttp.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

You may have to do a factory reset of the home hub, then disable smart setup again.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

And similar issues with wired/vs wireless.

One of the first things I checked was on a laptop via a cat 5.

Also, the hub is making a ticking noise every 2-3 seconds and we've been migrated to digital voice, but have run tests with dect phone disconnected etc. with no issue.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

Also, the hub is making a ticking noise every 2-3 seconds

Possible the hub itself, or the power unit failing.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

Hi @NeilMcK,

Thank you for posting. If you're hearing a clicking noise then I think it's likely that the hub is faulty. If you send me your details, I'll be able to help you get a replacement hub.

I have sent you a private message with instructions on how to contact the team.  You can access your messages via the envelope icon at the top right of the screen, or click on this link, Private messages

Thanks,

Paddy

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

Thanks Paddy,

I reset the ONT again, also performed a factory reset on the hub, then switched off smart set up.

No real change in speeds on Ookla etc., but weirdly uplink on BT app speed test has dropped from 110mb/s to 51, so seems to have had the opposite effect.

Weird.
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

Hi @NeilMcK, thanks for the update. I can see you've sent in your details and once you reach the top of the queue one of the team will be in touch to help you with this.

Cheers
John

0 Ratings