cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 31 of 60

Re: Issues After Upgrading to Full Fibre 900

Go to solution

Short answer is it can't.

If you saw a speed test of 900Mb then the only possible explanation is that there is an intermittent fault with either the ONT or external equipment/cabling. So maybe what you've been seeing as WiFi drops have actually been the incoming signal crapping out completely. And then when you've connected your laptop, it has been back up again.

We may now need to see what the outcome of checking the the profile is. If that is indeed set to 900Mb then there's definitely a fault somewhere.

0 Ratings
Message 32 of 60

Go to solution

@rbz5416 

Just when you thought it had all gone quiet... 😉

Same issues are on-going today. The speed tests for ethernet connection from the SH2 to my laptop are still showing at 900+ mbps. Speed tests for the ONT are still reading sub 500mbps, on all of them, at the various times of the day that I've tried.

I spoke to BT today, following on from the Tech Team visit yesterday, and they are sending out an OpenReach engineer on Friday to have a look at the ONT/connection to the ONT. 
From their end, the profiles for both the ONT and the SH2 are set to 900mbps and yesterday, they were getting a reading of 940mbps going into the ONT.  Which definitely isn't the speed exiting the ONT on any of the speed tests performed.

I've also been tinkering around with the 2.4GHz/5GHz and there's definitely something going on with the 5GHz. It literally tanked from an initial speed test of 375mbps (on my laptop) to 15mbps (and dropping) within the space of a few minutes - this using the channel that was showing 0% utilisation. So, I've switched it back to just using the 2.4GHz connection, again. Slower but definitely more stable and less prone to tanking - though this has also happened a few times. Much less dramatic than the 5GHz tanking though!
We've also been given unlimited data across out mobiles, following on from yesterday's tech visit, so if the fibre connection completely gives up, at least we've got that to tide us over.

0 Ratings
Message 33 of 60

Go to solution

I think we've got to accept that the ONT is functioning correctly as you're seeing 900Mb at the SH2. Why both you & the guy yesterday are only seeing 500Mb, I've no idea. Maybe Openreach can shed some light on that but it's more of a curiosity.

So, WiFi. What is inSSIDer showing when WiFi drops to devices? That that showing a corresponding drop?

0 Ratings
Message 34 of 60

Go to solution

As stated previously, the SH2 will always see a speed of 1000M from the ONT as it is just a GbE link and has no bearing on the received speed at the ONT from line. It will still show 1000M even if you disconnect the ONT from line.

0 Ratings
Message 35 of 60

Go to solution

@licquorice 

The OP is reporting a speedtest of 900Mb at the Hub.

Message 36 of 60

Go to solution

Ah, I was assuming indicated speed at the hub stats page.

0 Ratings
Message 37 of 60

Go to solution

@licquorice 

So, if I plug the laptop in to the SH2, via ethernet, with the SH2 disconnected from the ONT, and run a speed test, it'd still come back registering the full 900+mbps? 🤔

Might have to try that in a bit...

I'm now battling with the discs. All the discs that were previously connected to the SH2 and showing good/excellent connection have disconnected and are flashing red.

I've just brought them into the lounge to re-pair with the Hub and every single one has re-established a connection with the Hub (solid blue light) before I've even got to connecting with the ethernet cable. They then also show up on the BT app on my phone again as connected. But the moment I move them out of the lounge, they lose connection to the Hub, disappear from the app I'm back to the flashing red light again.

Honestly, it's starting to feel like I'm jinxed! 🤦🏻‍♀️

0 Ratings
Message 38 of 60

Go to solution

Cross posted there, apologies!

Message 39 of 60

Go to solution

@Lizzy-Loo wrote:

@licquorice 

So, if I plug the laptop in to the SH2, via ethernet, with the SH2 disconnected from the ONT, and run a speed test, it'd still come back registering the full 900+mbps? 🤔

♀️

No, I was misunderstanding what you were looking at and also I was referring to the ONT being disconnected from line rather than the SH2.

Message 40 of 60

Go to solution

@rbz5416 

I think we've got to accept that the ONT is functioning correctly as you're seeing 900Mb at the SH2. Why both you & the guy yesterday are only seeing 500Mb, I've no idea. Maybe Openreach can shed some light on that but it's more of a curiosity.

So, WiFi. What is inSSIDer showing when WiFi drops to devices? That that showing a corresponding drop?

Sooooooo...
Here we are, another Saturday, another battle with WiFi dropouts and not getting much further with anything else.
The OpenReach engineer due yesterday morning arrived a couple of hours ago and I'm still no further forward in getting anything sorted.
He couldn't read any faults on the cable (fibre) line, wasn't getting any negative results from the ONT - all the lights on/flashing that should be - and from an OpenReach engineer perspective, everything that he would be responsible for (cables to the property and the ONT) were as they should be.
However, he did look into the home equipment side of things and found the same as me. Speeds from the SH2 were same as always, ~900mbps when using a wired connection (ethernet), ~65mbps when using WiFi on the 2.4 Ghz channel and wildly fluctuating before tanking speeds on the 5GHz channel.
He then also asked if I'd recently upgraded my package as he sees these kind of issues in his "problem" visits at least once a week. Telling. But he couldn't tell me if they were ever resolved or how. Just that it wasn't something that OpenReach could fix as it would be down to speed profiles and caps.
He wasn't interested in the sub 500mbps speed coming from the ONT (in fact said that it wasn't possible to connect to the internet and get a speed test reading from the ONT!!)
He changed over the cat 5e cable (again) tested both the old and the replacement SH2 (same results). Tried the speeds with the (new) Hybrid unit switched on and off (said these could interfere with the WiFi signal). Changed over the ONT, just in case it was faulty but not reading as faulty. Called his IT team who rebuilt the ONT (whatever that means) but who ultimately said that as long as on a wired connection the speeds were still reaching ~900mbps, the speed/tariff agreements were being reached and that it was back to the BT side to sort out the rest.
Which is a bit annoying if all that is guaranteed is the wired speed, when everything else around the house runs off the WiFi. Current WiFi speed on the 5GHz is back to 3-5mbps, followed by frequent disconnects 😞

As for inSSIDer, I'm not 100% sure what I should be looking at/for when the disconnects happen. Is there any chart in particular that I should be looking at? Still a bit of a novice at all this.

Thanks again for all your input.

0 Ratings