cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 51 of 60

Re: Issues After Upgrading to Full Fibre 900

Go to solution

@rbz5416 No worries, I figured you may well be up to your eyeballs helping other BT users in need 😉

It's definitely something to do with the smart hub - I'm back to resetting the whole set up again this morning, after we woke up to no wiFi again.

When I switch the wifi back on (via the Hub Manager) to the SH, we're back to running at around 60mbps.
So soon as I switch the wifi to the SH off again, so that the signal is being sent out from the disc, we're back up to 400mbps. It's a huge difference.

I'm not so sure that ditching the BT discs for a 3rd party solution would solve the problem, would it? If the issue is with the SH (as it seems to be, from my novice perspective!). I can't help but think that even a 3rd party solution would lose the wifi signal output every time the SH resets (as the discs do)... unless I'm missing something.
I'm also starting to wonder if a 3rd party router to replace the SH might be a better way forward... but it is a bit galling having to pay out for that when I'm already paying BT to loan out the SH in effect!

Thanks again for your feedback, it's always food for thought 🙂

0 Ratings
Message 52 of 60

Go to solution

A third party mesh system would be completely independent of the SH2 & would only need an ethernet feed from it. So in theory, when the Hub reboots the mesh should automatically come back online. I've no idea why you would have to mesh around switching WiFi on/off with the BT discs other than BT's less than stellar reputation when it comes to hardware. In my experience most of what they've produced over the years has been pretty poor. The only exceptions being equipment they've simply rebadged. The original Diverse DECT phones for example where simply rebadged Siemens products & were great. Once they broke away with their own Call Guardian phones the quality took a dive all round. 

Most if not all mesh systems can also have one device acting as the router. So you could experiment with removing the SH2 completely as well, although that would lose the DV. But you could set up a divert so that all incoming DV calls get routed to a mobile instead. That would also do away with the 14 day reboots which seem to be another BT fudge rather than fixing the underlying issue. Buy a mesh system online & you can always return it if it doesn't work out. Hopefully BT will let you downgrade that element of the package which would eventually pay for the mesh.

0 Ratings
Message 53 of 60

Go to solution

I use a third party router connected directly to the ONT. We have a DV, but as already suggested I set this to divert to my mobile. Works fine. We only had DV because we have some aged friends who only wish to call a landline.

Otherwise we would not bother with it.

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings icon. If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted solution’
0 Ratings
Message 54 of 60

Go to solution

@rbz5416 to be fair, we don't have the DV set up. The cost for 3x mobile SIMs on the family plan, with the broadband customer discount, was only marginally more cost wise than adding on the DV package. So we went with that instead.
By the sounds of things then, I could just buy a mesh system, have one device acting as the router/plugged into the OEM and 1-2 devices as repeaters, depending on the coverage required. And do away with the BT hardware completely?
Are any of the mesh systems better than others? Or easier to set up than others?
There seems to be a vast assortment on Amazon!

@stevebrass  thanks for your input re the 3rd party router. Can I ask which one you're using?

Many thanks! 🙂

0 Ratings
Message 55 of 60

Go to solution

@Lizzy-Loo 

As you have full fibre, take a look at this mesh system https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/deco/deco-m5/

I am only on ADSL, so I use the Deco M4 which only has a 100Mb interface. It seem to be trouble free.

0 Ratings
Message 56 of 60

Go to solution
I use Netgear RBK40, but I think this has been superceded.
If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings icon. If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted solution’
0 Ratings
Message 57 of 60

Go to solution

I'd suggest starting a new thread asking for mesh recommendations. Or just Google reviews. I use a bit of an odd setup with two Fritzbox routers but wouldn't recommend that for your setup.

0 Ratings
Message 58 of 60

Go to solution

I’m not sure if you’ll see this but I have this issue and consider that extra quid the worst money spent : gave me nothing!   I’m in NW in Cheshire.   If you do read this, did you get sorted.  

0 Ratings
Message 59 of 60

Go to solution

@Linny008 

I'm still getting email notifications for this thread apparently! 😅

Yes, I did get it sorted in the end, no thanks to BT and all thanks to the guys that replied/contributed on this thread.

I ended up buying a 3rd party mesh system (an Asus one) which has worked seamlessly since I set it up and gives great speeds via WiFi (500-600mbps, which I'm more than happy with).

The BT equipment has been relegated to the drawer of doom, along with all the cables I've saved over the years and never used again 😆

Sorry to hear you've experienced the same issue. Hopefully this thread will help you get it sorted quicker than I did 🙂

0 Ratings
Message 60 of 60

Go to solution

Thank you : I’ll look into that ….

0 Ratings