cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 40

Issues with broadband dropping

I have BT Full Fibre 500 with a Hub 2. Speeds were in the 300 range which was fine.

However, since install we’ve had intermittent drop out issues. It started out as maybe once a day the internet would drop out very briefly, then come back. During these times the hub lights stayed blue.

As the months passed the drop outs became more frequent, 2-3 times a day, increasing up to hourly. Every time the Hub lights remained blue, but no connection. A BT engineer visited and said the problem was in the road. An Openreach Engineer  visited and said the problem was a faulty Hub. The Hub was replaced, and there was no difference.

My partner is a tech guy and he installed a Deco 6E wireless mesh to replace the Hub (he thinks the Hub 2 is poor). That rectified about 90% of the problem (and I’m now getting the full 500 speed with full house coverage that the discs could never manage), but we are still getting total drop outs a couple of times a day.

We’re gamers, and since starting to play Fortnite with the network status enabled I can see I’m getting pings anywhere from 12 to 460. I can also see the network dropping as I play, then ramping up again.

Any ideas what’s going on? I think it’s a cable issue.

My contract is up in March. My partner wants to ditch BT and go elsewhere as he’s already given up multiple days to wait in for engineers, only to be ping-ponged about.

0 Ratings
39 REPLIES 39
Message 2 of 40

Re: Issues with broadband dropping

It sounds more of a wifi issue than a broadband issue.

As you're gamers it would be better to switch to using ethernet cables to connect your gaming devices rather than using wifi.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 40

My games console is on an Ethernet cable.

Still drops.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 40

Is this connected directly into the router and not into any other device like the mesh network or powerline adapter?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 40

Yes. Directly into the router.

Edited to add: we also used a new cable in case that was the issue. 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 40

What kind of ethernet cable are you using? Always best to use cat 6

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 40

It's Cat8 as the router is in the same room as the Playstation. The router is sited away from electrical interference, in its own space on the wall.

We have used Cat6 same issue. When the wired device drops, all the wifi connected devices drop too at the same time, and come back at the same time. This is why I think it's a problem with the cables coming into the home, or in the road, or at the box outside, as opposed to a kit failure, but 2 sets of engineers say otherwise.

Switching one Hub 2 for another Hub 2 did nothing at all. Switching to the mesh has greatly improved the drop outs, as well as the speed and household coverage, but they are still occurring. I don't think Hub 2 could cope with our high level of use - we both wfh, we both game, we have a lot of wifi appliances etc., even though it markets itself as being able to do just that. 

As mentioned, my partner is looking to move our business away from BT to another provider, but I'm trying to see if there is a solution before we do that.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 40

Been having the same problem for 2-3 month now, engineer came out yesterday and put a new cable in, unfortunately it started dropping connection straight away and now it's went off altogether, looks like I'll have to cancel, as Openreach have done everything they can to fix it, real shame as I will more then likely have to drop back to a normal broadband package as Openreach provide the lines for most if not all full fibre broadband service providers, shame it has had to end this way 

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 40

It's a nightmare, isn't it? There has to be something further back that's causing it.
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 40

@Lisa123456 just went to change the ethernet cable on the off chance it was that and discovered that my routers wan port has been absolutely butchered, this is a brand new router that was sent out a couple of weeks and it was fine yesterday morning before the engineer came out to replace my line 🤷🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

https://acrobat.adobe.com/link/track?uri=urn:aaid:scds:US:fe7f3f6c-02f8-3062-beab-fe5b5174d192

0 Ratings