cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Just joined BT but considering leaving already . Speed issue

Hi, 

I have gotten my bt fiber 900 broadband few days ago with the smart hub 2. 

When I connect to the 2.4ghz WiFi (5ghz turned off) I only manage a max speed of 60mbps down and 70mbps up, when I connect to 5ghz I get 450mbps down and 100mbps up, since the smart hub has not option of separating the Ssid into two networks, I notice that some devices prefer to connect to 2.4ghz I.e. playstation and hence it runs with 60mbps speed only. 

Since I'm within my 14 days of signing up I'm considering cancelling and going with sky instead as I'm hoping the issue won't be with their router.

So before I'll cancel I wanted to see if there's a "fix" to get higher speeds out of 2.4ghz or if this is a known issue?

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Just joined BT but considering leaving already . Speed issue

If you're using a PS4, the limitation isn't with the BT hardware but the WiFi card within the PlayStation. Our PS4 would max out at around 60mbps but PS5 on WiFi tops out at 140mbps.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Sorry the ps4 is just an example,  I mean some devices that are capable of 5ghz connect to 2.4ghz as a preference (unless there are settings) so my concern is slow 2.4ghz speeds even on my ps5 (unless I force 5ghz) or on our phones note 10+ etc.. sometimes they connect to 2.4ghz and end up with said 60mbps max speed which is ridiculous since the devices are capable of handling higher speeds on 2.4ghz

Edit: just to show the difference on different devices, 2.4ghz should NOT be limited to max 60mbps speed on a 900 fiber line.

Ps5 speed on 2.4ghz 50mbps

Ps5 speed on 5ghz 323mbps 

Note 10+ 2.4ghz =60mbps

Note 10+ 5ghz =460mbps

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

The actual frequency is capable of handling higher speeds but there are so many limitations caused by hardware and interference which means quoted speeds for the WiFi frequencies are only theoretical. Hitting quoted theoretical speeds will only happen during laboratory conditions where there are no hardware bottlenecks and no external RF interference. 

Also, if you're looking at sync speeds that's only the static connection and not what the device is actually drawing when it's in action.

Our Roku sticks often show a sync speed of under 20mbps but when streaming 4K HDR pull data through at a lot higher speeds. I've checked this by running a speed test while streaming. 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

I'm actually testing speeds through speed tests and downloads only, not looking at sync speeds. I'm looking at real world usage speeds but can't help to think 60mbps on ANY device such as iphone/samsungnote/playststipn5 on 2.4ghz is not right and it's a new build property with hardly any tenants, wifi analyser shows me as the only wifi available currently within range and I tried different channels just in case of interference.

I'm going back to my old property later on to check the (still live ) connection on a 800 fibre line where I never dropped below 440mbps, I'll bring other devices along such as nintendos and ps5 & phones and test speeds on 2.4ghz there

Message 6 of 7

Ok. We have a SmartHub 2 running on FTTC with G-Fast at 160mbps and the only device we have that gets close to getting max speed over WiFi is my Pixel 4A which maxes out at 130-140mbps. We briefly had the PS5 on WiFi and that maxed out at 130mbps. 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Is your ps5 running on 2.4 or 5ghz? That seems to be the issue on mine, 50mbps vs 350mbps speed test.

0 Ratings