cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Linux devices unable to connect to the internet

Hey, I have joined BT today and received a Smart Hub 2 and I am in the middle of setting up my devices but having problems with my Linux devices.

I have a raspberry pi running Kodi and a Linux PC acting as a NAS. The NAS is connected directly to the Hub via ethernet and I have tried the raspberry pi via ethernet and WiFi but aren't able to access the internet in either configuration. My Windows PC and Android mobile can see these devices on the network, I can even SSH to it, and I use my phone as a remote control for Kodi over WiFi, which still works.

The raspberry pi can even see content on the NAS and play it, but can't access YouTube or resolve the links I send to it via my phone.

Is there any reason as to why these devices can't access to the internet with the new router?

I can provide any additional information if requested.

Thanks for any help you can provide 

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Linux devices unable to connect to the internet

Sounds like a DNS configuration problem with your devices.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

If your RPi and Linux box have static addresses have you checked to make sure the gateway addresses are correct - BT use 192.168.1.254 by default but other ISPs don't always use the same. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

Hey,

Yeah, I changed that when I set up the new connections in Kodi. But you were right that on my first attempt I still had the original default gateway of 192.168.1.1. After I realised that BT use a different on I used:

IP address (static): 192.168.1.151

Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway: 192.168.1.254

I have played around just now, changing the DNS server it was using via the GUI from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.254 and it was able to play a YouTube video immediately after confirming the change. Just the NAS to take a look at next

Thanks

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Hi, thanks for that. I have just changed the DNS address in Kodi from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.254 and it was able to stream a YouTube video after confirming. Just the NAS to sort out next, though I'm not as familiar with using the terminal to carry out these sort of changes on Linux
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

For most Linux systems the DNS server is defined in

/etc/resolv.conf

You could open the CLI and run

sudo nano /etc/resolv.conf

You can then edit the name server in there or add additional ones.

If you want to change other network settings you can utilise ifconfig, rather than guess what you may need you might find the following helpful:

15 Useful "ifconfig" Commands to Configure Network in Linux (tecmint.com)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BT900 | Nokia ONT | Ubiquity ER-X | EETV Box Pro (IP Mode) | Unifi CK2 | 6x Unifi U6+ | 2x Unifi SAK Ultra
0 Ratings