cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Trouble connecting dual band WiFi extender to Smart Hub 2

Just been sent a smart hub 2 (presumably due to Digital Voice) and finding that my existing wifi extender (BT Dual-Band WiFi Extender) won’t connect. Is this because it isn’t compatible with the smart hub 2? If not, any tips on getting it linked?

If it’s not going to work, any (non-disc) cheap ideas about how to extend the range in my house?

Thanks all!

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Trouble connecting dual band WiFi extender to Smart Hub 2

@illingd 

Wi-Fi extenders are not a good solution.

A better option would be to use a pair of powerline adapters which have wireless built in, that would save running a cable.

Like https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/powerline/tl-wpa4220-kit/

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Factory reset the extender to remove any previous config and set it up again. As @Keith_Beddoe says, extenders are a poor choice to distribute WiFi though.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

Powerline can be equally as dreadful.

Extenders like you already have generally just connect to the existing WIFI you have and then repeat it, usually with a new network name called something_EXT, so I would go down the route @licquorice suggested first and factory reset it and set it up as if you just bought it with whatever wizard/app it came with. Extenders dont really care what router they connect to they just need WIFI credentials, even the BT one you have should work with any ISP/Router...

I would imagine its not working because it just cant connect to the old WIFI credentials that are saved inside of it from when you set it up for your old router. So that is by far the cheapest option, to reuse what you have especially if you were happy with it before. What model specifically is it? Is it the 600 or a different one, there are lots of helpful guides how to set them up.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BT900 | Nokia ONT | Ubiquity ER-X | EETV Box Pro (IP Mode) | Unifi CK2 | 6x Unifi U6+ | 2x Unifi SAK Ultra
Message 5 of 6

Thanks.I’ve got it connected now

Message 6 of 6

Thanks to all three of you who responded. Very helpful