cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 17

Mesh setup

I currently have BT Halo 3+ with Digital voice, ADSL.

To move the signal around the house, I have powerlines  to lounge with WiFi using the same info as the main WiFi router plus cat 4 to the tv sheikd etc and the utterly useless ee backup signal box

A bit heath Robinson, put together over time lol

As I want to keep the Digital voice, am I right in thinking that a mesh system like the TP Link ir asus us not really a useful option?

Thanks for your replies

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17

Re: Mesh setup

If you have Halo 3+, doesn't that already give you a mesh system using the black WiFi discs?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 17

TP Link DECO Access Point Mode just connect to the existing Router via a spare ethernet port, chances are it will perform better than powerline too.

Having Digital voice pretty much locks you to using BT's Router, but as far as MESH is concerned you can install pretty much any on the market.

Are you really using CAT4 cable to the Shield? 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BT900 | Nokia ONT | Ubiquiti ER-X | EETV Box Pro (IP Mode) | Unifi CK2 | 6x Unifi U6+ | 2x Unifi SAK Ultra
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 17

Thanks, yes, cat 4 was what I had available lol

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 17

I only have one disc and niw they are unavailable either direct through BT or places like Amazon, that what started me looking at otger options

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 17

@Warkman58 

They are available from BT, at £100 each!

https://www.bt.com/broadband/accessories/

You can buy a complete third party mesh system for that, or slightly more.

TP Link Deco range are very good, obviously they would not mesh with any home hub.

Message 7 of 17

Yeah I wouldnt recommend the BT Systems anymore, I ran Wholehome for yonks and it was pretty decent but compared to the pricing of the DECO line I'd have probably got that in hindsight. Complete WIFI is also locked entirely to BT so either you are effectively renting the equipment for more money per month or if you do buy it separately...you cannot use it if you ever change provider.

DECO is so easy to setup, tons of people use it, plenty of the folks on here use it and is a better choice IMO over the BT gear, feature for feature the DECO has more.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BT900 | Nokia ONT | Ubiquiti ER-X | EETV Box Pro (IP Mode) | Unifi CK2 | 6x Unifi U6+ | 2x Unifi SAK Ultra
Message 8 of 17

My point was that @Warkman58 is already paying for Halo 3+, and therefore for the Complete WiFi discs - they simply need to contact BT to get additional discs to set up the mesh.

If the preferred option is a different mesh system, then there is no need for Halo 3+.

Message 9 of 17

Yeah I get that, he can get up to 3 discs with 3+.....I still wouldnt recommend this route though, maybe they are using some other features of Halo that are worth it.

Message 10 of 17

I thimk the only reason I'm sticking with Halo 3+ ,(I'm niw out if vontract) is the Digital voice, as quite a few relariv3s are still using landlines

0 Ratings