cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3

Modem suggestions and setup advice please...

I have a BT Smart Hub with Fibre Broadband (VDSL), current downstream sync speed: 53.71 Mbps and upstream sync speed: 10.94 Mbps.

I would like to replace it with a VPN router, and I have acquired a Nighthawk R7800 AC2600 for this purpose.

In the view of the experts here what are my realistic options for a modem and in your view which would be the best modem to buy for this purpose.

Any tips (or links) for setting up the devices (I can install the VPN OK) would be appreciated.

Tags (3)
0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Re: Modem suggestions and setup advice please...

Your options are extremely limited, pretty much a new Draytek Vigor or Huawei Hg612 from eBay.

Suggest hg612 is preferred, don't pay extra for an unlocked one, it is not needed and is trivial to unlock in any case.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 3

Re: Modem suggestions and setup advice please...

I actually wouldn't even go for the Huawei HG612 any more, these are all old units and liable to failure (most modems don't have a very long life).  This kind of leaves you with the Vigor 130, 166 or 167 - but should you get any of these it's a MUST that you get the UK version.  There are third-party routers that you can put into "modem mode", but the issue with these is that they can end up buffering the connection - great for TV but not if anyone is playing games!

If anyone offers you a Netgear DM300 they are not your friend, remove them from your life and never speak to them ever again!

I only learn by making mistakes and owning up to them - boy do I learn a lot!
0 Ratings