cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 18

Move Router from ONT but still use patch panel

Hi all

I have searched the forum but can't find anything on what I would like to know!

We live in a new build with the ONT in a hallway cupboard and patch panel to 3 RJ45 ports (lounge, office, study) dotted around the house all of which we use. What I would like to know is can I move the router from the cupboard to the lounge port but then still use the patch panel in the hallway cupboard so we can still use the other 2 ports without having to run cables from the router back to the patch panel?

Thanks in advance! 

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18

Re: Move Router from ONT but still use patch panel

You would need to add a cheap 4/5 port switch in the cupboard to redistribute the feed from the router. Something like theTP-Link LS1005G is under a tenner.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 18

I tried that but couldn't get it to work, would you mind detailing what I need to plug where?

Thanks

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 18

Ethernet from Hub to lounge port.

Ethernet from all ports on the panel to any ports on the switch.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 18

If there is only 1 RJ45 port in the lounge you will not be able to simply use the patch panel. You will to patch from ONT in the cupboard to Router in the Lounge and from Router in the Lounge back to the patch panel in the cupboard. The Gigabit Ethernet uses all 8 wires in the cable so you cannot run both through the same cable. You might be able to use Powerline adapters to go back from the Lounge to the cupboard, or directly to one of the other rooms.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 18

Scratch that, you will be using the lounge port to feed the ONT to the Hub, so forget what I said.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 18

Wow I am confused as to what I need to put where! Essentially we have the same setup  as this

ONT.jpg

With 3 single RJ45 ports in each room. I want to take the router out of the cupboard  and put it in the lounge but still use the other 2 ports around the house. I have had a go but can't get it to work!

Thanks

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 18

When you say 3 single ports in each room, does that mean each room has a single RJ45 port (which is what I thought you meant initially) or that each room has 3 RJ45 ports. If the latter do you know what is connected to what?

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 18

Correct, a single RJ45 in each room

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 18

If I've understood you correctly your problem is this...

The problem is that the cable from the ONT to the router is effectively not part of your network.  It’s part of the connection to the outside world, known as the WAN.  Your internal network starts at the router and is known as the LAN. So, what you would need is a minimum of two cables going to your router.  One from the ONT to the WAN port on the router and another separate cable from one of the LAN ports on the router back to the patch panel in the hall.   Of course, you should have four ports on the router, so that should leave at least two connections for things in the lounge.  The cable to the patch panel then enables the connections to the other two rooms.

(I did try and do you a diagram but this website seems completely usueless at loading a diagram and I was in danger of losing the will to live after a few minutes).