cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Moving Smart Hub 2 from downstairs cupboard

Hi all, I am not tech savvy here and I’ve been pulling my hair out trying to relocate my smart hub 2 from the cupboard to the living room 

currently I have a 1 socket access point which has a grey cable to my smart hub 2. In the cupboard there are 4 Ethernet sockets where I can run a wired connection to the rest of the rooms in my flat.

Is it possible to run the grey cable from the access point directly to one of the 4 Ethernet sockets, and set the router up in another room? So far I’ve tried with no luck. 

9EA5D99E-AB7E-42B1-B6AD-38B4485AFCD5.jpeg

2924B770-90BD-4EBF-941E-F070D599CD0E.jpeg

94018FBD-23F6-4AF9-8D5C-B61C64AACD49.jpeg

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Moving Smart Hub 2 from downstairs cupboard

Not sure what you mean by "access point"? The ONT appears to have a black ethernet cable rather than the grey that's in the Hub, where does this go?

Edit

Maybe the cable in the ONT is in shadow & just looks black? It's a problem with the tiny limits this forum imposes of pics. In theory you should currently have a single ethernet cable direct from the ONT to the WAN (red) port on the Hub. So you would need that to into the 4 way distribution point & then another from the port in the living room to the WAN port of the router.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

By access point I mean the white open reach box. There’s a dark cable that goes to the router, can I plug the router in elsewhere, and run that dark cable directly to 1 of the 4 Ethernet sockets that take the network out to the rest of the rooms?
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

I've edited my post. If that's what you've done & it doesn't work maybe you're not connected to the right port on the 4-way? I can't see any labels to identify which port goes where?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

Are they actually wired? It has been known for builders to fit the sockets but no cabling installed

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

I have just tested each of the 4 ports using an Ethernet connection from each of the rooms and none of them are working, I think they’re not connected! 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

Pop those two screws & see what's behind that 4-way.

Message 8 of 9

Before doing anything you should establish which ports on the 4 way serve which rooms.

I have assumed you do not have an Ethernet cable tester.

Connect up the Smarthub by connecting and Ethernet cable from the WAN socket on the hub to the ONT.

Plug an Ethernet cable into one of the remaining ports on the hub into the first port on the 4 way. Now go around your rooms with a laptop or other device and connect by Ethernet to the room sockets in turn until you fine the active one. Record where that is on the 4 way then move onto the next port 4 way port and carry out the procedure until you have identified in which rooms the ports terminate.

Once you have done that then you can diconnect the hub and plug the Ethernet cable that was in the WAN socket into the 4 way port in the room that you want to move the hub to then connect the hub up in that room by plugging an Ethernet cable into the hubs WAN socket into the Ethernet socket in the room.

Keep in mind when you have done that you will not be able to connect up any of the other 4 way socket to feed the remain rooms because you have no way to connect those sockets to the hub because the hub is now no longer beside the 4 way.

Hope that makes sense. 

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

An easier way would be to plug port 4 of the smart hub into the Ethernet port in the room of your choice. Then take the grey cable with one end still plugged into the ONT and try all 4 ports until the port light on the ONT illuminates.

if it doesn't light up, then the sockets aren't connected to each other.

0 Ratings