cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Moving from Virgin Media - Connection requirements

Go to solution

Looking to move over to BT from Virgin cable (broadband and TV), and looking for some advice on what's required. We've had Virgin since we moved in 10 years ago, so have never had a 'normal' line.

I'm in a 1930s semi and there is a grey Telecom branded box on my neighbours bay window, which is connected to a cable running across the front of our house. There is a master socket in the hallway, but this is not connected (the wires are pinned to the wall outside but not fed through the wall). This cable runs past the wall hole for the Virgin cable, so can I get this cut back and rerouted via the existing hole in the wall (currently occupied by the Virgin cable) and a new master socket installed where it's actually required?

I don't want to mess about with extension cables and sockets, as the existing master socket will need reconnecting anyway.

I've seen £130 mentioned, so is this still a relevent figure?

What I will say, is that I don't want to sign up for BT unless the master socket can be moved. Do you need a provider to instruct Openreach? I'll be in a catch 22 if so.

Thanks.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Moving from Virgin Media - Connection requirements

Go to solution

if you sign up to BT and able to get a full fibre package (fibre to your home) then the master socket is not used in the install

check availability by entering your address

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

Thanks for the reply. According to the address checker I can get FTTP.

However, the install page says "With Full Fibre installation, we'll upgrade the master phone socket (the white box on the wall) and install an Openreach modem (ONT), which connects to the fibre optical cable that comes into your house."

If I'm going for BB only (ie no phone) will it just be an ONT inside the house, pretty much as per Virgin?

Also, I have the Virgin cable running from the street chamber along the bottom of a garden wall. Will this be the same for Openreach, or do they have to dig? And do they both share the street ducting network?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

That's badly worded, what they mean is we will 'upgrade' your master socket by installing an ONT and making your master socket redundant. Regardless of voice or not, you will not need a master socket as voice will be VoIP if you decide to take it.

Virgin and Openreach do not share duct space.

Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

If you use your own router rather than the supplied BT hub, the PPPoE credentials are the generic username bthomehub@btbroadband.com and password BT

Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

Thanks to both.

0 Ratings