cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Moving router question

Hello,

I’ve recently moved into a new home and open reach have told me my BT router would have to be under the stairs, which isn’t ideal for me. Is there anyway I can move it upstairs? I have a BT socket in one of the bedrooms. 

Here is a pic of what’s installed under the stairs. 

thank you

26CA5563-F099-4F85-91C3-FA3BF08689F3.jpeg

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Moving router question

@Le3 

Welcome to this user forum.

No you cannot move the modem shown in the picture, but it looks like there are some Ethernet connections nearby, so one of those should go to the room where you want the BT Home hub, so you can use that to extend the connection from the modem to the home hub.

Connect that  red ended cable to the correct Ethernet port that goes to the room, then connect another Ethernet cable from the Ethernet socket in that room, to the red WAN connection on the BT Home hub.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

You can have the router wherever you like, you just need to run an Ethernet cable to the chosen location from the ONT under the stairs. What type of socket is it in the bedroom, if it is Ethernet it might appear on a patch panel under the stairs. If it is a phone socket, it will be of no use to you for the router.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

Thank you for the quick replies. I only have phone sockets under the stairs and in the bedroom, no Ethernet sockets.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

Seems odd, developers usually provide an Ethernet patch panel with wiring to various rooms rather than phone sockets. If the cable is Cat5 you could re-terminate it with Ethernet sockets at each end rather than run a new cable.

Message 6 of 9

@Le3 wrote:

Thank you for the quick replies. I only have phone sockets under the stairs and in the bedroom, no Ethernet sockets.

Then you would have to use broadband extenders to connect the modem and home hub together.

Like this https://shop.bt.com/products/bt-broadband-extender-flex-600-kit-084285-BVFK.html?refs=59150000

As @licquorice  has said, its a bit odd, but perhaps the developer only put an Ethernet socket in the lounge.

How many Ethernet sockets are next to the modem, as its not very clear on your picture?

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

Those extenders would be useless on any service over 300mb.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

Sorry for bad picture quality it, here is a closer look. 

I have the same connection in one of the bedrooms. 

54AB7C54-FFD5-4714-840D-DA136CE902F4.jpeg

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

Is that the same connection as you have in other rooms as well?

If it is, then all they are are normal phone connections which would be looped in and out of each phone socket, so they cannot be used for an Ethernet link, without major re-wiring, as I expect that the bedroom is near the end of the chain.

Seems like the developer had not made any provision for this type of connection.

Broadband extenders may be the only option.

0 Ratings