cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3

New to BT, poor WiFi

Hi,

I'm hoping someone can help, I recently helped sign my (93) Mother in Law up for broadband as the pricing was much better than Virgin but WiFi has been nothing but an issue since day one.

So she's got a SH3 and the WiFi is really poor.

On her kindle, 6ft away, in direct line of sight she gets one bar. Another room, forget it. Her ring doorbell chime in the kitchen will simply no longer connect. And this is all in a terraced two up, two down.

What i've tried:

1) Used my phone to look at other WiFi and selected the least noisy channels turning off the automatic channel selection in the router app.

2) Turned off 2.4GHz, no improvement; turned on 2.4 and 5 GHz off, still nothing better.

I cannot believe this is the typical performance of the router, it must be something else.

I would simply bin the router and put something else in it's place if it wasn't for the fact that she also has one of those wifi to pstn adapters which I believe tie her into the BT router?

Is it possible the SH3 is simply a lemon?

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Re: New to BT, poor WiFi

are you sure SH3 as the only ones on issue to BT customers are business customers.  the residential SH3 is still in trials

which package do you have FTTC or FTTP?  from your comment about the dect adapter I assume you have digital voice

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 3

Re: New to BT, poor WiFi

Thanks for the response - it may not be, I assumed it was the SH3 but would need to go up the road to double check (which I will do in a bit).

It's fibre to the prem.
0 Ratings