cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

No wired Ethernet- hub 5

Hi all

any ideas appreciated. I cannot connect my pc to any port on a hub 5, but I can connect a laptop to any port on the same hub 5 , no problem 

weird thing is, the network adapter on pc works fine if I connect a wi-fi bridge to the pc ( wi-fi to Ethernet adapter)

ive disables/enable- uninstalled/reinstalled  the network adapter, no joy? It’s not a dodgy Ethernet cable either, weird? - when pc connected to hub, it tries to connect, but doesn’t ( led’s associated with lan port flicker, then stop- flicker- then stop. Thanks in hope of any ideas 

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: No wired Ethernet- hub 5

@circuitbender 

Do you have a spare Ethernet switch that you can put between the port on the home hub, and your PC, as its possible there is a hardware incompatibility issue which is causing auto-negotiation to fail? This issue has been reported before, usually where the PC has a 1Gb network card.

Also its possible that the PC network adapter is set to a fixed rate that the home hub cannot recognise.

Also see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duplex_mismatch

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Could you have set a static IP address on the PC previously for a router/the bridge with a different address range?

Run ipconfig from a command prompt & see if the ethernet card has an address in the 192.168.1.x range.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Hi all, thanks for your replies

i haven’t got a spare Ethernet switch to put in between the hub and PC 

the settings of the network interface adapter ( which is actually on the motherboard ) are as they should be , i checked the settings and there is no static ip address assigned, so it should automatically obtain an ip address. auto negotiate is set, so it should comfortably talk to the router. 

The PC in question has 2 operating systems on it, - problem i have is no connectivity with win7. today , I'll boot it up to win xp just to see if theres a difference ( which i am doubtful of )

yesterday, I uninstalled the interface adapter ( nVidia ) - restarted PC and the OS detected the i/f adapter and installed the drivers successfully - but - still no joy with no connectivity with the hub ??

any more ideas please ?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Try setting the network adapter to 100Mbs Full Duplex instead of auto negotiate. That would eliminate any issue with auto negotiation.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Might also be worth setting a static IP address outside of the Hub's DHCP pool, which I think is below 64.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

thanks for that

what i did yesterday was disable DHCP, no joy 

enable DHCP, still no joy 

in both instances, hub Ethernet ports worked as normal with win10 laptop, but not the PC ? 

0 Ratings