Hope someone can assist as this is really bugging me.
I have Smart Hub 2 and am connected via ethernet network cable to hub
As standard this works perfectly and gives a rock solid connection for working from home
I have to use my workplace VPN to access an internal docs server and if I use the ethernet connection with any browser I get "This site cant be reached" with a message that the servers IP address cannot be found
If I type in the IP address of the webpage it works perfectly
If I disconnect the Cat6 cable and use WIFi it works fine too
Got a work colleague to test the same set up (he is on Virgin) and he has no issues so it appears there is a DNS issue when using Ethernet connection over VPN on BT hub (had the problem on my previous HH5 too)
Other than ditch the router and buy a non BT one does anyone have suggested solution please
Its possible that the VPN software is using the wrong DNS servers. If possible, try changing the DNS setting on the VPN so it uses Google Public DNS 22.214.171.124 and 126.96.36.199
If BT web protect is enabled, that that can cause issues, so try disabling it.
You cannot change the DNS settings on any of the BT home hubs.
No DNS options on the VPN as just the standard built in windows VPN connected to company portal
Dont have web protect or smart setup enabled either
No, I have not changed anything in device config at all (Everything is locked down with admin password!)
In fact I got a brand new laptop from work yesterday and we setup VPN connection from scratch and still the same as previous laptop.
My colleague who tested for me has no issues with an identical setup via Virgin and If I unplug the ethernet cable and use WIFI it works to!
Guess its just an issue with the BT router and the fixed DNS entries
When you say it works OK with WiFi, do you actually mean WiFi or do you mean 4G mobile data? If it works ok with hub WiFi but not with hub Ethernet, that would point to a problem with your laptop rather than the hub.
I had a similar issue when I tried using a work VPN. Our IT department said it does seem to be a problem with BT hubs and suggested turning on 'port clamping'.
Go into advanced settings on your hub and select VPN; turn on 'port clamping' and save the settings (I think that's how I did it)
I would suggest that the company internal firewall program is only allowing DNS if you are at work, and plugged into the their Intranet.
Wireless connections would be treated as public connections, and there would be internal firewall isolation to prevent accidental linking of a public Wi-Fi connection, and the company internal LAN.
I seem to remember a similar issue with BT laptops when I used to work for them, in that you could only use the Ethernet connection while you were connected to BTs Intranet.