cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3

Non-BT router recommendation required

Hi folks. 

We used to have copper and were up-sold to Fibre900 earlier this year. 

However - sod's law - the speed around the house has now dropped significantly. 

The only other thing that's changed is the Hub [I think]. No new walls. No new devices. 

For context, I'm now getting 45-55mbps in the back of our semi-detached house and BT can't solve it. Tried the disks. Tried new Hubs. BT have now run out of things to try and I'm locked into my shiny new contract for another 11 months. 

I'd like to try a non-BT hub, as I've heard I might get better wifi performance. 

But I haven't a clue where to start. Can anyone recommend one? 

We don't use digital voice. 
We only ethernet to the TV. 
We have Ring doorbell and Sonos speaker products.
And then a bunch of phones and laptops.

We're a pretty basic household, that just wants to video call grandparents without it buffering. 

Recommendations pls! 

Thanks, on behalf of my son's Nan. 

✌️

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Re: Non-BT router recommendation required

If you are now getting 45-55Mbps while you were previously getting higher WiFi speeds, it sounds as though your device(s) have connected on 2.4GHz band on this occasion.  If you try again at a different time, you may well find they are back to higher speeds on the 5GHz band.  On some devices you may be able to "force" them to use 5GHz in their devices settings (not on the router.

I only learn by making mistakes and owning up to them - boy do I learn a lot!
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 3

Re: Non-BT router recommendation required

You dont really need to change the router itself, you can keep the hub, if you change the hub itself for a different router you will need to do a little more setup to get the TV to work, that is if you are using EETV connected to the hub, I assume thats what you meant by ethernet to the TV.

Probably best to check out some of the MESH products out there, DECO's by TP Link are quite popular among folks I know and easy to setup. You get multiple DECO's and connect one to the hub, switch off the WIFI on the hub in its settings then setup a new WIFI network on the DECO, which will all be done automatically, then you take another DECO and place it far enough away from the one connected to the hub for a boost in coverage but not too far that its own wireless link back to its master is weak, then you can get a third and do the same, I mean the setup is all sorted by an app anyway. I only mention DECO cause got a few families who were really helped out by them.

One question though is what speeds do you get in the same room as the hub?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BT900 | Nokia ONT | Ubiquity ER-X | EETV Box Pro (IP Mode) | Unifi CK2 | 6x Unifi U6+ | 2x Unifi SAK Ultra
0 Ratings