cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

Orbi RBK30. Windows cannot see my NAS drives.

I have a BT Smart Hub 2 and Orbi RBK30 with one satellite. The Orbi is now working correctly and I can see both my NAS drives in the Device Manager of the Orbi app.

In the BT hub manager most of the IP addresses start 192, which is what they were before I bought the Orbi, and not 10 which is what the Orbi device manager shows them as. In the BT hub manager DHCP is set to YES and Authoritative DHCP is On. 

In the Address table of the Hub manager the RBR350 has an IP address starting 192, which is probably correct, and both the WD and Synology drives, and the Orbi router and satellite, are listed, but they do not show up in Windows Explorer.

However, I have managed to map both drives on my laptop and can access files on both drives from that laptop. Still no luck on the desktop computer. Whenever I try I get a message saying Windows cannot access the drive.

My desktop computer cannot see either of the NAS drives in the Network section of Windows Explorer and I cannot map a network drive to either of them. In fact only my BT hub shows in Network, the Orbi does not show at all.

On my laptop, connected over WiFi, (the BT hub's WiFi is turned off), the NAS drives both show in the Explorer/Network Computer section, the drive connected directly to the RBR350 shows in Media Devices and Storage, and the other drive is shown in Other Devices. The Network Infrastructure section shows the RBR350 (Gateway). I am able to map network drives to both NAS drives but this makes no difference to my desktop computer.

In the BT hub the Firewall is set to Default, (Allow all outgoing connections and block all unsolicited incoming traffic.). UPnP and Extended UPnP security are both on. DMZ is on and set to the IP address of the Orbi.

I have no idea where the problem lies, is it with Windows on my desktop, on Orbi or the BT hub. If anyone can suggest anything to try I will be most grateful as I am out of ideas.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: Orbi RBK30. Windows cannot see my NAS drives.

If the Orbi is in router mode, you will have 2 subnetworks, 192.xxx.xxx.xxx and (presumably)10.xxx.xxx.xxx.  Only devices connected to the same subnetwork will be able to see each other.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

Thanks for your suggestion, it seems that just putting the Orbi into access point mode was all that I needed to do. Problem solved.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

Well, yes. You will only have one network in that configuration.

0 Ratings