cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Own router and landline configuration

Go to solution

Hi 

I’ve signed up to BT FF 900, can I use my own router and landline, bit of confusion as with the smart hub 2 you have to plug phone into the router ?

TIA

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Own router and landline configuration

Go to solution

@jpatel99 

Welcome to this user forum for BT Retail phone and broadband customers.

If you want to keep your phone service you have to use the Smart Hub 2, there is no alternative.

If you are not wanting to use your phone, then you can use most third party wireless routers.

Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

@jpatel99 

You can of course use the SH2 for Digital Voice and configure your own router to handle everything else, obviously wifi turned off in the SH2.

It's not difficult to do.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

You can move your phone number to a VOIP provider that works with most routers then use you own router in place of the SH2.  If you ever have a fault BT may need you to put the SH2 back to run their diagnostics.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

So essentially my existing landline handset would be plugged into the SH2 and then my own router used to connect my devices to wifi ? 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

Yes and also ethernet connections rather than use the SH2. So the SH2 basically connects to your Fibre and provides the phone line with everything else turned off like wifi & DHCP and your own router does everything for you.

That's what I'll do when I get Full Fibre.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

If you use both SH2 and your own router, you will almost certainly end up with double NAT as the SH2 does not support a bridging mode. You will have to assign static addresses to the SH2 lan side and to your own router connection to the SH2.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

Not if you connect the third party router LAN to LAN and simply use it as a WAP.