cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Own router

Go to solution

Hi,

As we know the BT hub is not the best for the Wi-Fi. I have decided to swap it for Xiaomi Redmi Ax1800. Spent hours trying to get the connection to broadband. Support keeps sending me usual settings. Support keeps sending me usual settings. Please check the photo and still no luck. Do I have to plug it in to the existing BT hub ? That was the one of the suggestions from the suppport.  that was the one of the suggestions from the support

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Own router

Go to solution

You could always turn off DHCP and connect it to your SH2 so that you get the benefits of better WiFi and let the BT router deal with the routing. In fact adding a Wireless access access point might have been a better option for you than replacing the router.

Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

@Robson66666 

do you have FTTC or FTTP?  if FTTC you need a modem as your new Xiaomi Redmi Ax1800 is a router but if FTTP your new router should connect to the openreach ONT and using

username bthomehub@btbroadband.com

password  anything but many use BT

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution
But I need a VPN and this is unavailable on BT hub
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution
Broadband is Fibre Optic. You got the point with the router. Therefore I can find anywhere if Xiaomi Redmi is suitable for this broadband.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

If you have full-fibre (FTTP with an ONT modem thingy) and not just fibre to the cabinet (router connects to the phone system) then if you are willing not to have "digital voice", then you can connect the new router directly to the ONT (modem).  All you'll need to do then is set up the WAN connection on the new router as:

WAN type: PPPoE

Username: bthomehub@btbroadband.com

Password: BT

and you should be away!  *Any router that allows PPPoE connections (that's almost every single router on the market) should be good!

I only learn by making mistakes and owning up to them - boy do I learn a lot!
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution
The problem was with the software. After the update it works!!! Thanks!