cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Want to use my own router

Hi everyone I want to swap to a wifi6 router so I can use my VR headset wirelessly as the current home hub 2 has stuttering issues when streaming from my pc.

I have a ZyXel vmg8924-b10a which I can use as a modem as I understand the hub 2 doesn’t have a bridge mode and I’ve bought a GT-AX6000 ROG WiFi 6 (802.11ax) Gaming Router but can anyone tell me what I need to do to set these both up?

many thanks

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Want to use my own router

What service do you have FTTC or FTTP?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Sorry it’s FTTC

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Can't give step by step instructions, but the Zyxel needs to be in modem mode and Vlan ID set to 101.

The router needs to be configured as PPPoE with the generic username of bthomehub@btbroadband.com and password BT

Message 5 of 7

A little bit of bad news for you here.  The Zyxel router used in modem mode, will buffer your connection - I've tried this and have seen it here with my own GT-AX6000.  That buffering adds latency!  If you are solely using the set up for gaming, I'd set up the GT-AX6000 in AP mode and use it with the BT SH2 (own WiFi turned off).
*Mostly when people post about gaming and latency it's about unrealistic expectations, but just be aware you could be setting yourself up for issues!
**For info on setting up the Zyxel router I'd try the https://kitz.co.uk site - it's a couple of years since I did this and I can't recall off the top of my head!

I only learn by making mistakes and owning up to them - boy do I learn a lot!
Message 6 of 7

Thank you for the info I may just try AP mode then and keep the SH2

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Yes, Kitz is a good source of info for Zyxel configuration.

0 Ratings