cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

Poor Signal Strength on Iphone From Fibre Broadband

1fccc384-4173-4421-a848-5f1dd09b2d21.JPGHi 

We have recently moved to Full Fibre.

We can get a decent connection on our Macbook but struggle on Iphone.

This is a photo of our Iphone 13 which shows a comparison of speed on Fast.com

44MB on Iphone and 120 MB on Macbook.

Any help or suggestions appreciated. 

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Re: Poor Signal Strength on Iphone From Fibre Broadband

@alidolphin89 

You are unlikely to get anything like the full speed over wireless, on a single device.

It was never intended that people get full speed on all devices, especially on a wireless connection. The intention is to allow that bandwidth to be shared among family members and multiple devices, without each user noticing any slowdown.

Here is a quote from old post by @SeanD  on 18/06/2021

"I think for the first time ever we are in a situation whereby the speed you can now get through Full Fibre outperforms the capabilities of many devices.  

The Smart hub 2 does not come with Wi-Fi 6 but this is something we are looking to include in our next generation of Hub.  I don't have any info as to when we will launch a new router by Wi-Fi 6 will bring some improvement.

As an example of what I mean in terms of devices not being able to support the full breadth of speed available on Full Fibre , take a look at the table below.  This is just for a couple of Apple Smart Phones and Tablets along with  popular Samsung models,

Apple (Smartphones) Dualband (2.4 & 5Ghz) Theoretical Max speed on 2.4Ghz connection Theoretical Max speed on 5Ghz connection
IPHONE SE Yes 60mbps 300mbps
IPHONE SE 2020 Yes 135mbps

600mbps

Samsung (Smartphones) Dualband (2.4 & 5Ghz) Theoretical Max speed on 2.4Ghz connection Theoretical Max speed on 5Ghz connection
galaxy-s10e Yes 135mbps 600mbps
galaxy-s10-5g Yes 135mbps 600mbps

Apple (Tablets) Dualband (2.4 & 5Ghz) Theoretical Max speed on 2.4Ghz connection Theoretical Max speed on 5Ghz connection
IPAD pro 3rd gen (Nov 2018) Yes 135mbps 600mbps
IPAD pro 4th gen (March 2020) Yes 135mbps 600mbps

Samsung (Tablet) Dualband (2.4 & 5Ghz) Theoretical Max speed on 2.4Ghz connection Theoretical Max speed on 5Ghz connection
galaxy-tab-s5e Yes 100mbps 300mbps
galaxy-tab-s6 Yes 60mbps 600mbps

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 12

Hi 

Thanks for your speedy response.

So when BT says 'it is our best Router yet' this is a clearly misleading statement. 

I would say we were getting considerable better speeds on our mobiles across our house from our old Technicolour Router. 

What would you recommend we do to fix this problem? 

Thanks

Ali

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 12

What is the actual link speed to the router rather than throughput from a speedtest site? No idea where you find it on a iPhone, somewhere in network settings.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 12

Hi @licquorice 

Not sure what you mean by Link Speed?

When I am ethernet connected to the Router to my Macbook I get 150MB DOWN. The problem is the Iphone and the slow speeds. 

If the Hub 2 does not support WiFi 6 then clearly there is a case for replacing this. 

Thanks

Ali

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 12

So when BT says 'it is our best Router yet' this is a clearly misleading statement.

@alidolphin89 

See https://img01.products.bt.co.uk/content/dam/bt/storefront/pdfs/smart_hub_claims_substantiation.pdf

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 12

Link speed is purely the speed of the wifi signal between your iPhone and hub and is independent of any broadband.

This is from my Android phone. As you can see the link speed is 866Mbps. As I only have a 40M FTTC broadband connection, it is irrelevant what my link speed is though.

Screenshot_20230329-220213.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 12

Hi 

Link Speed is clearly not an option on a Iphone unfortunately. 

https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/7890

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 12

How quaint, even Windows shows Link speed.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 12

The problem is clearly not the hub as both devices would be affected similarly.

0 Ratings